Crystallised honey super

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Show me the honey

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Had a quick look inside one of my hives today and probably half the frames are crystallised in the super. Not had this before do just leave it on?

On the subject of crystallisation some of my bees are coming back with large yellow pollen loads and a yellow dot on the forehead. I assume that it is OSR?

On the subject of crystallisation some of my bees are coming back with large yellow pollen loads and a yellow dot on the forehead. I assume that it is OSR?
Yep.

My bees are bringing in copious amounts of yellow pollen but it sure isn't OSR pollen....non anywhere near flowering around here. Probably early flowering cherry or hazel.

If you use the search function you will find a number of threads about your question.

True but then we may as well close the site up as almost all questions have been asked before! Asking again may give new opinions and option as beekeeping is continuously progressing :)

I did search it but mostly talking about OSR

Last edited:
My bees are bringing in copious amounts of yellow pollen but it sure isn't OSR pollen....non anywhere near flowering around here. Probably early flowering cherry or hazel.

Long since gone here. It was the dot on the forehead that made me think it was autumn sown OSR which apparently sometimes flowers late March. Have not noticed any this early before.

You can get a yellow dot if other types of brassicas go to seed; one of my neighbour's always leaves broccoli etc to go to seed 'for the bees' - he gardens organically.

Not to mine taste either and it’s such a small amount (only 5 frames) extracting seem like the most hassle looking for an easier option:)

If I ever have any that is crystalised in the frame I just dig it all out and melt it all down in large yoghurt pots. When it is all cool and honey underneath will be nice and runny. Just drain that off strain it and keep it for yourself. You can then do what you do with the wax. I do this at the same time as extracting my main crop.

Locate the super of crystallized honey on the bottom board...underneath the broodnest. The bees will remove the honey over time and the super can be re-located to top of stack. Scratching off the cappings will quicken the process

Locate the super of crystallized honey on the bottom board...underneath the broodnest. The bees will remove the honey over time and the super can be re-located to top of stack. Scratching off the cappings will quicken the process

If you put a couple of 9mm laths on top of the xtallized super that is under the brood and on the floor... thus creating a second entrance, bees will clear it super quick as the have "undefended stores",

Has worked for me

Chons da

Back