Your plans for 2017

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linoleum bonypart

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Are you increasing decreasing consolidating
Trying something new... moving to new apiary ...New equipment
Have I missed anything
I'm going to try a couple of hives on 14x12 and also try the demaree method

Hopefully get 3 colonies through the winter...

Bring nuc into a full size hive and then replace queen (getting old). Try Snelgrove vertical split method on remaining 2 colonies - will probably use one of the splits to do the requeening.

Of course, the bees might have other ideas... :D

I'll wait until the spring to decide, don't count the chickens until they hatch.

Have I missed anything

I will be testing 2 instrumentally inseminated Netherland line A.m.c. queens (55-3-44-2014 * 18-26-7268-2013), 7 island mated I.B. Celle queens (lines A1-013, A2-001 and A3-066) in addition to the VSH line (55-2-73-2016 * 18-26-7268-2013). They all have expected breeding values well above the mean so they should be pretty good.
In theory, 68% of all queens tested should have beeding values betwenn 90 and 110%, and 95% should have breeding values between 80 and 120% (normal distribution with mean of 100 and a standardised dispersion of 10). The remaining 5% is split either side of a normal distribution, so, when I say that the Netherland line have an expected breeding value of 126%, you can see that they should appear in the top 2.5% of the whole of the BeeBreed test population (around 7,000 queens / year). I have high hopes for them.
On the latest spreadsheet I have, 59 of the Netherland line queens will be tested by members of the group.

Last edited:
I'm going to try a colony on double 6 frame nuc boxes in 14x12 format.
Floor with under entrance is made, the entrance is on the long side so I can have the box warm way.

My birthday present is a "tree hive" which will go up in the garden in spring.

Are you doing the double nuc to later split or are you adding a couple of nuc supers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Tree hive?

42a31e_3c22fb228a1f4c5abfe532a1ee0b64cf.jpg

Tree hive?

Home made twin walled ply with PIR insulation in the gap.
I can't have a hive in the garden incase Stan's grandchildren get stung!
Soooooo.........the next best thing. It's been painted and it's going to get hoisted up in a tree at the bottom of the garden in Spring

Are you doing the double nuc to later split or are you adding a couple of nuc supers

I want to try it as a colony in its own right so I don't plan on splitting it except for swarm management so....supers, yes.

Last edited:

I wonder if I dare show Stan that....:icon_204-2:

Actually

What a stupid picture!
If the chap's chiselling a nest away why has he got a lit smoker hanging up in front of him?
Daft!!!!!

Or.....is that a loaded "Freedom hive" dangling ready for placement?
in which case why hasn't he got at least a veil on?

Last edited:
Stan's getting quite handy, I'll take my hat of to him

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Have I missed anything
I'm going to try a couple of hives on 14x12 and also try the demaree method

No OSR at this end of the parish this year so I plan to set up a couple of temporary out apiaries and distribute my current eight colonies (if they all come through, DV) thereabouts.

Wow , as ever all our sites are surrounded by OSR !!!

We currently have bees on 4 sites 'but this year we have been invited to try a new site by a new landowner...
In order to make this possible for us, my wife & friend are going to take on ,one of our current sites...
This is a new twist for me, as I have promised to keep my nose out , other than to deliver additional boxes for their monster yield.....

The Gauntlet has been throw down!! which site will produce the most Honey..:blush5:

Last edited:
Actually

What a stupid picture!
If the chap's chiselling a nest away why has he got a lit smoker hanging up in front of him?
Daft!!!!!

Or.....is that a loaded "Freedom hive" dangling ready for placement?
in which case why hasn't he got at least a veil on?

He is a Polish tree beekeeper, I also don't wear a veil most of the time, but usually have a lit smoker near to hand if needed, so can't see anything unusual about that.

Looks like he is just removing some honey comb to me.

4 colonies overwintering at present, I'm planning to split each one as soon as possible to pre-empt swarming and increase to 8 colonies.
Try moving some colonies to a second apiary a few miles away in August, which has heather growing on it.
Priority 1 is to prevent loss of honey through swarming and get as large a honey crop as possible.

He is a Polish tree beekeeper, I also don't wear a veil most of the time, but usually have a lit smoker near to hand if needed, so can't see anything unusual about that.

Looks like he is just removing some honey comb to me.

Oooooops.....sorry
I thought he was making a tree nest and it was a promotional picture of some sort
He was harvesting wild honey, then ;)

Yes....looking closer there is a pile of dark comb stacked up and his veil is slung behind his head
Can't see bees though

Latest posts

Back