yellow pollen today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I was so tempted too. I would love some dandelion honey and we have masses of those in April...fields full. but if I'm trying to build them up for that I've missed the boat.
My flow starts mid May in a good year, so think now is about right to help them out. So many bees at the hive entrance with little flecks of pollen, clearly trying hard to find some. I noticed last year just how many dandelions are around in April but like you don’t build them up for those alone.

July here. We get Bramble and Rosebay which is fairly consistent.
Sometimes there is Hawthorn in May but the weather can be so fickle. Last year there was masses of blossom but equal amounts of rain.
Ivy was good last year and I fed little.

Still got some Hazel coming in here, saw some bees with Grey loads entering also one assumes Crocus might one of either Yellow and Amber seen being foraged.

Feeding frenzy today, bringing in deep yellow pollen - plenty of crocus in flower. Great to see the newbies doing their orientation flight before going off to forage. Just thankful that both hives have made it through the winter and look strong. First inspection will tell ...

and lots of it piling in....all colonies active so bodes well for no losses

what do we think the yellow is, we have crocus and blackthorn out that i can see
On the East Sussex / Kent border, we have daffs, primrose, celandine and wood anemones out. I was sent a picture of a bluebell fully out down the road this morning. Odd given that the average temperature has been none too interesting!

Mostly yellow pollen coming in for mine. They were tumbling over themselves to get into the hive. View attachment 30825

I'm glad this is in the beginners section so I don't worry about being considered ignorant in asking this. My bees too are bringing in plenty of yellow pollen; if pollen is so available, does this mean nectar is too? I can never tell when my bees are bringing in nectar - certainly some bees seem to be returning empty-handed.

I'm glad this is in the beginners section so I don't worry about being considered ignorant in asking this. My bees too are bringing in plenty of yellow pollen; if pollen is so available, does this mean nectar is too? I can never tell when my bees are bringing in nectar - certainly some bees seem to be returning empty-handed.
I can’t either! Some bees seem to land more heavily than others and their tailgate looks lower.

Could be water foragers though - plenty of that going on too at the moment judging by the bees around my water butt.
View attachment 30826

I had a few flying around the curly kale yesterday. It's not in flower (though it might well be given a week or so), so I'm assuming they were collecting water where rain had been trapped by the leaves.

James

What a difference a couple of days makes. Lots on the water on Sunday and hardly any today. So assume they must be finding a little nectar.

Attachments

• 20220313_140512.jpg
    20220313_140512.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
Had a couple of floors on yesterday and for the rest of the week to check on varroa, the lad spotted the pollen that had dropped of the girls, so we both had a little taste. Both my little ones wolfed it down. It is rather tasty!

7EED736C-DE82-42A8-8EC1-D3EEF8B1E147.jpeg

Had a couple of floors on yesterday and for the rest of the week to check on varroa, the lad spotted the pollen that had dropped of the girls, so we both had a little taste. Both my little ones wolfed it down. It is rather tasty!

View attachment 30830
I agree but it depends where it came from. I wouldn’t recommend eating meadowsweet pollen 🤢

Latest posts

Back