yellow pollen today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Willow. Hazel likely well over
:iagree: my girls on the common are bringing in willow, crocus, snowdrop pollen, nice to see them out foraging the first proper day this year, last year was the 12th of march, lovely sunny day today 13c. :)
Interesting though the willow isnt flowering very local.

Slim pickings on the willow here at the moment, too. Give it a week or two. The hazel is well over though. Hardly surprising given that the catkins were out before Christmas. The only thing I can sometimes see the bees working here is (what I think is) celandine, which has started flowering in the last week. My guess though is that they're foraging elsewhere for the time being.

James

I watched some bees buzzing around hyacinths today and experienced the first bee bounce off the bald patch of the season.

Thank-you for the correction. With us, the brownish-orange pollen, which looks yellow to me, is almost certainly gorse. ;)
Have you ever watched a bee collecting pollen from gorse, when a flower opens and pollen flys out?

and lots of it piling in....all colonies active so bodes well for no losses

what do we think the yellow is, we have crocus and blackthorn out that i can see
We have plenty of fields of OSR just starting to flower here in Herefordshire so entirely possible you have too.

Willow. Hazel likely well over
Can only dream! Still a couple of weeks off up here. My bees were scouting round looking for snowdrop and hellebore pollen yesterday. The greenhouse has been v busy as they’ve found the peach and apricot in flower, no need to use a paintbrush this year. Spending late afternoons rescuing bees stuck in the greenhouse and not able to work out how to leave. Think i’ll have to give in and give them a ultra bee patty!

Latest posts

Back