Yearly honey jar orders.

Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Apple 

Banned
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Curley... join the Beefarmers' Association and get some proper insurances.... and a good price on jars and lids
Get your packaging facility OK'd by Public Heath,,, and get that Level 2 certification.

Then work out how much it really costs you to sell a jar of honey packaged to UK Honey regs.....

Then look at a discount structure for one and all... minimum order £100 cash up front!

For all I know you may have done all of the above!

Only needs one complaint to TS and some come seriously unstuck!

Chons da

Pembroke 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
It doesn't do any harm to tell your buyers that last year was a bad year for honey production and so the prices this year need to reflect the scarcity of the product.

If local small producers are selling at a cheaper price than you then consider buying up their produce and putting it together in a box of several jars of different varieties. Throw in one of those cheapo wooden stirrer things and charge double the price. "Special Event" gift box.

One of my local bee farmers sells a jar of runny and a jar of set with stirrer for way more than the two jars on their own would be.

Curly green finger's 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
40+
Curley... join the Beefarmers' Association and get some proper insurances.... and a good price on jars and lids
Get your packaging facility OK'd by Public Heath,,, and get that Level 2 certification.

Then work out how much it really costs you to sell a jar of honey packaged to UK Honey regs.....

Then look at a discount structure for one and all... minimum order £100 cash up front!

For all I know you may have done all of the above!

Only needs one complaint to TS and some come seriously unstuck!

Chons da
No, Mark, it's useful info. that may show others the way.

Are these the same whose stock you're buying? Good if it was, as the sooner the 1lb jar disappears the better.
Apologies Eric and thankyou.
Yes both are,
No, Mark, it's useful info. that may show others the way.

Are these the same whose stock you're buying? Good if it was, as the sooner the 1lb jar disappears the better.
Hopefully Eric it's more to do with the product " honey" than how much it costs
It doesn't do any harm to tell your buyers that last year was a bad year for honey production and so the prices this year need to reflect the scarcity of the product.

If local small producers are selling at a cheaper price than you then consider buying up their produce and putting it together in a box of several jars of different varieties. Throw in one of those cheapo wooden stirrer things and charge double the price. "Special Event" gift box.

One of my local bee farmers sells a jar of runny and a jar of set with stirrer for way more than the two jars on their own would be.
I've been asked for hampers but to be fair selling jarred and bottled honey is enough for me.
Things like candle making wax melts etc Can wait, I would like to have a mold done of the hill and make candles but in the future, I'll keep to my mad ideas of rearing and selling the liquid gold for now.
I think the wooden thingys are a pita and would be better as a spoon maybe wooden with slits in it. And with a round handle so you can scope and twist abit like a Belgium shovel.

Hachi 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
Damn! A lot more than I ever thought I'd have
Works well until you buy a bad batch and you take all the heat.....

Hachi 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
Damn! A lot more than I ever thought I'd have
Why would anyone buy a bad batch of honey unless their taste buds and vision has gone.
:unsure: :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The point I was making that has clearly whizzed past you is; buying a third party's produce and selling it on, if it is bad will be your responsibility in the same way that when we all buy our produce from Tesco etc it doesn't matter who made it, Tesco take the responsibility for it.

Curly green finger's 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
40+
:unsure: :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The point I was making that has clearly whizzed past you is; buying a third party's produce and selling it on, if it is bad will be your responsibility in the same way that when we all buy our produce from Tesco etc it doesn't matter who made it, Tesco take the responsibility for it.
It hasn't passed me by at all I get your point, that's why we have quality control albeit my eyes, smell and taste buds.
I get it this is where trust between friends and partners comes in.

pargyle 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
It hasn't passed me by at all I get your point, that's why we have quality control albeit my eyes, smell and taste buds.
I get it this is where trust between friends and partners comes in.
So ... are you selling the bought in stuff under different batch numbers on your jars or just including it as part and parcel of your own honey ? Some slippery sticky slopes if you are passing it off as from your apiaries and your bees ...

Latest posts