WSBKA Auction 2024

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It varies ...a few bargains but as usual some stuff I would have put in the bonfire and some people paying more than you can buy things new... two of the more interesting lots that sold.... rain now so bad the auction is going to continue indoors....

Attachments

• 20240427_141326.jpg
    20240427_141326.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240427_133740.jpg
    20240427_133740.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
It varies ...a few bargains but as usual some stuff I would have put in the bonfire and some people paying more than you can buy things new... two of the more interesting lots that sold.... rain now so bad the auction is going to continue indoors....

Worth a couple of pence for kindling, those two?

James

Did you see the 2 paynes 14x12 brood boxes that went for £10 and 3 supers for £5?

Did you see the 2 paynes 14x12 brood boxes that went for £10 and 3 supers for £5?
I think I'd better stop reading this thread for my own sake. Just been swimming with the children which was fun but currently sitting in a car park in Bordon in the rain... Maybe next year. Bet it'll be dry then though!

Sell the matches in sets of four.

James
To get the best price I would advertise them as high-tech essential through-draught free-flow hive ventilation aids. If they have been lit sell as pre-owned carbon coated (one end) and carbon capture device. Pop on a reserve of 20p per box - you might be lucky and get top estimate of 22p !!!

I'd lost patience before that unfortunately, in disgust at the mad prices being paid e.g. over a £100 for a polynuc and £80 for 3 old wood supers. Great day for sellers.
Not all good for sellers, some of my stuff went for a song and later on WBC stuff was going for £5 or £10 a lift/box/crownboard/qx/floor.
I was pleased with the prices of my nucs but surprised that 4 full colonies went for £270-300 each including stand, Qx and super!

Yes ... I was initially tempted and then had a look at them - they were a bit knocked about and (pretty badly) painted inside and out so I passed on them. I lost the will to live at about 4.30pm - there were two little model hives that would be great for demos that I would have bid on but I reckon they would have been about 5:30pm before they came up at the rate things were going ... I picked up 50 thornes new 14 x 12 brood frames (look like firsts) for a fraction of their price). I also bought some square honey buckets (which I like) more in optimism of a good harvest as the rain bucketed down .... but there were a few bargains going as I was paying towards 4:30 and the crowd were seriously thinning out ..

The bees made reasonably good money considering how many colonies there were for sale (obviously been some winter losses).

Other than that the usual mix of stuff from the back of the shed with the odd bit of decent kit thrown in. It always amazes me how much people will pay for timber hive parts that are often 50 or 60 years old and you can get new ones in the sales for much the same money !

Yes ... I was initially tempted and then had a look at them - they were a bit knocked about and (pretty badly) painted inside and out so I passed on them. I lost the will to live at about 4.30pm - there were two little model hives that would be great for demos that I would have bid on but I reckon they would have been about 5:30pm before they came up at the rate things were going ... I picked up 50 thornes new 14 x 12 brood frames (look like firsts) for a fraction of their price). I also bought some square honey buckets (which I like) more in optimism of a good harvest as the rain bucketed down .... but there were a few bargains going as I was paying towards 4:30 and the crowd were seriously thinning out ..

The bees made reasonably good money considering how many colonies there were for sale (obviously been some winter losses).

Other than that the usual mix of stuff from the back of the shed with the odd bit of decent kit thrown in. It always amazes me how much people will pay for timber hive parts that are often 50 or 60 years old and you can get new ones in the sales for much the same money !
I agree re wooden parts. Very old super going for £15-20 each when you can buy seconds from C Wynne Jones for under £23 at the moment.

£2 and £5 respectively ! There was not much left in the WBC that was not rotten and the 'think it might be something like a national hive' was indescribable. BBKA magazines failed to sell and some poor beggar got them lumped in with the next lot !

I agree re wooden parts. Very old super going for £15-20 each when you can buy seconds from C Wynne Jones for under £23 at the moment.
There were two lovely revolving observation hives - separate lots (obviously very well made) and I bid on them but pulled out when they got to £40 ..and they went on the next bid ... and I'm now regretting not carrying on ... (Not that I NEEEED one of course but they were lovely bits of kit). I could have seen one of those hung on our lounge wall ... not sure 'er indoors would approve ...

£2 and £5 respectively ! There was not much left in the WBC that was not rotten and the 'think it might be something like a national hive' was indescribable. BBKA magazines failed to sell and some poor beggar got them lumped in with the next lot !
That poor bugger was me!

Hats off to the steward that lumped the sodden pile to the nearest recycling bin, despite my protestations that I could do it myself!

3 Kielers for £5 was probably my best buy. The next guy got 4 for £4 though..

Few other handy bits picked up. I gave up at 5pm, as it was a bit of a trek home. Anyone know what the stacks of national supers (last page of the catalogue) went for? I need a stack, but couldn't wait any longer 😞

BBKA magazines failed to sell and some poor beggar got them lumped in with the next lot !
never mind, you never know when the next pandemic will arrive - and the ensuing shortage of bogroll

That poor bugger was me!

Hats off to the steward that lumped the sodden pile to the nearest recycling bin, despite my protestations that I could do it myself!

3 Kielers for £5 was probably my best buy. The next guy got 4 for £4 though..

Few other handy bits picked up. I gave up at 5pm, as it was a bit of a trek home. Anyone know what the stacks of national supers (last page of the catalogue) went for? I need a stack, but couldn't wait any longer 😞
If I remember correctly I think the supers at the end went for about £15/super

Latest posts

Back