WRC and Covid

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have an order for WRC sat waiting for me in a timber yard in Monmouthshire. I live in a lowest tier area for Covid 19.
Can any one tell me whether I am allowed to enter Wales to collect the consignment?
Can I consider this as part of my normal beekeeping arrangements?
When are the Welsh restrictions likely to be lifted.? As I understand the situation Monmouth has a low incidence as well.

I have an order for WRC sat waiting for me in a timber yard in Monmouthshire. I live in a lowest tier area for Covid 19.
Can any one tell me whether I am allowed to enter Wales to collect the consignment?
lockdown ends week Monday

Thanks JBM
I don't suppose I will be able to treat SWMBO to lunch though? Usk Garden Centre normally does us proud!!!
It depends how far they wind back the restrictions at the end of this lockdown. before it started restaurants/cafes were allowed to serve food as long as social distancing etc. was adhered to.

I collected my WRC from the sawmill in Usk on Wednesday. I was worried about being turned back by the Welsh police and the mill had no longer the inside storage space to keep it until we come out of lockdown on 2nd. December.
I always go along the A40 to Ross on Wye and then through Monmouth. The A 40 was closed before Ross and the posted diversion would take me in the wrong direction. I decided to take the lane on the left and 'follow my nose'. A scenic ride through the edge of the Forest of Dean and several hamlets brought me out on the Monmouth road. I seemed to be the only car on the road with a few trucks.
I collected the WRC and returned through the Forest of Dean. Lovely countryside and views but a nerve-wracking day.
The WRC is now all stacked to dry. Lovely timber and a super smell!!

Who shall define beekeeping arrangements? The beekeeper or the police?

Though we're allowed to travel to manage apiaries, shift equipment and collect supplies, waiting until a week Monday would surely not have led to significant inconvenience. Would the WRC have suffered if shifted outside for two weeks?

Yes, think of all those people you infected by daring to breath in your car en route.
Had you done the same journey for work purposes it would all be fine.

Brian's twenty colonies (perhaps more by now) may produce enough (if he sells at modern prices) to form part of his taxable income, and his beekeeping to be classified as work.

When are the Welsh restrictions likely to be lifted.? As I understand the situation Monmouth has a low incidence as well.
If you tell us what timber yard, you can have a temporary draggon passport.

Can't believe that people on here are endorsing breaking lockdown to pick up timber!

The point of lockdown is to create a firebreak to stop transmission. If people can inconvenience themselves and stay at home for a few weeks, they can prevent untold others getting ill by extinguishing the transmission pathway.

Yes, think of all those people you infected by daring to breath in your car en route.
Breathing in your car isn't the issue. Inadvertently infecting just one person when you get to Monmouth will set the ball rolling again in an area that's been isolating to create a firebreak.

And doing the same journey for work isn't 'all fine'. It's a compromise taken between protecting the population and providing essential services whilst preventing the otherwise inevitable financial crash.

Travelling through lockdown to care for your livestock and buying essential supplies is not the same as breaking lockdown to buy supplies for next year.

Yes, you want to pick up the timber to make next year's hives over winter. But that's your hobby. It's no different to the teenagers who say that hanging about the skate park is their hobby and why shouldn't they do it?!

It makes a mockery of the huge sacrifices some people are making which are undermined by the selfish behaviours of others.

In last lockdown Stoke police stopped and fined a car driver who had driven from Birmingham to collect an ebay purchase.

In last lockdown Stoke police stopped and fined a car driver who had driven from Birmingham to collect an ebay purchase.
Rightly so.
And I remember in summer when foreign travel reopened, some guy came back from Spain, went on a drinking spree and infected dozens of people whilst not knowing he had the virus.

Thank you for all you comments.
I did not take the decision lightly and took action to ensure that I came into contact with no-one.
It was not a reckless decision but thought through. I originally was going to make the journey today but the government introduced the lockdown in England last Thursday and the Welsh administration made a remark about not letting people leave Wales.
I felt that leaving the timber in the rain until early December was not an option,. As a friend once said of some wet WRC did you by this by the metre of the litre?
I need some pieces to fulfil some orders from Santa.
I drove down with SWMBO and did not stop along the route. At the timber yard I placed the payment down and discussed the situation with Lyn at a large distance. I collected the timber, loading the car myself and drove home without stopping.
I am not stupid. I do not want to catch Covid 19. I would be considered a risk as I have a 'dicky ticker' and asthma. I am also responsible for my 90 year old other-in Law and 3 disabled elderly neighbours who we 'bubble with'. I also do not wish to pass it on to anyone else.
I felt I had to make a decision and a choice. I view my experience as a microcosm of the decisions small businesses are having to make each day. It is unfortunate that the Governments of the various parts of the 'United Kingdom' cannot agree on a joint policy.

I felt that leaving the timber in the rain until early December was not an option,. As a friend once said of some wet WRC did you by this by the metre of the litre?
Are all your bee hives under cover then?! :D
Everyone has their excuse!
I wonder whether a waiver might be the way forward?
"I have no intention of following the rules, please don't treat me and waste the NHS space and time if I get sick. Signed: ______________."

If
Are all your bee hives under cover then?! :D
Everyone has their excuse!
I wonder whether a waiver might be the way forward?
"I have no intention of following the rules, please don't treat me and waste the NHS space and time if I get sick. Signed: ______________."

I think Brian has had enough stick on here ... I'm sure the majority are inclined to follow the rules however perverse they appear to be ... my concern is not as much for me but the countless people I could inadvertently infect if I had covid and didn't know. It's inconvenient and at times frustrating but the lock downs are there for a reason ... we should play by the rules. Time this thread was closed ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back