Woody Woodpecker

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Strawberry netting draped over the hives works okay,or even better the really cheap, green fine mesh plastic netting, sold in most garden centers ect, birds tend to get rolled up into like a sausage,last thing on there mind then is pecking the hives.

Our local Woody last summer, approx 5 metres away from the hives, but so far he has not been near them. More interested in red ants.

It's the green rather than the spotted that causes problems :). We don't get the green variety around here, at least not thus far !

John Wilkinson

i know to my cost,it is the green woodpecker

One has been eyeing up my hive ,so tried the fine plastiic netting...yes it worked, as it must have got caught up in the netting, becaue the cat bought it into the house a 7.00am this morning

The cat let the woodpecker go in our bedroom...mad woodpecker flying around the bedroom..bird pooh every where

managed to grab it when it settled on the centre lampshade but it then grabs me with its beek on my thumb and would not let go...pain,pain

i managed to open the window and threw it out and it let go of my thumb

now...imagine this..naked man, at window, screaming obsenity into the air ,jumping up and down and sucking his thumb...7.00 am in london surburban street,,,quite a few people going to work...and they did look up to see what the was going on :redface:

LOL....MM......would love to have that scene on film.

Hi

Whilst I like my poly hives and am happy to extol the virtues, being woody resistant is not one of them. In fact quite the opposite, I think they prefer them as they get less of a headache:toetap05:

Regards Ian

Sorry PP.......looking back at it now you have framed it,it worries me to..lol.

Had a woodpecker problem for the first time this year - wrapped the hives in builders polythene (damp proof membrane is ideal) and they now ignore them. Cheaper and easier than chicken wire and convenient to store for another year.

Tried to kill 2 birds with 1 stone this year - wrapped the hive with a couple of layers of bubble wrap - insulation & woody dosen't like it.

At least 3 of the Andover area Beeks have had woody attacks this year, luckily no losses yet.

i've been told you have to chicken wire cage so they is a 1ft large gap between the wire and the hive, otherwise woody can just cling on to the wire and peck through the holes,

so it not wrap in chicken wire but cage in chicken wire

saying that, for my garden hive as her indoors thought chicken wire looks ugly , i have given up the green netting as woody seems to still think he could get in

so i've gone to black damp proof plastic membrane stapled to an old crown board and hanging down over the 4 sides. it has cut out for entrance.and..no sign of woody

The wire netting only needs to be a couple of inches clear of the hive body. The woodpecker needs a firm hold with its feet to enable it to peck with any degree of force.

why o why mess about ???

a hive is going to cost over £100 + bees £130 ? 2 or three hives attacked ?? so why not spend the little bit extra on wire netting an obvious barrier that is stronger than a woodys beak by far

it is a proven solution to use wire netting

or take a chance with plastic and possible more losses

Mark

Latest posts

Back