Woodpecker Decoy Bird of Prey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
just found another assocation hive dead from Mr woody's getting through the wire ( but dying trapped inside the wire cage.....Ahhhh poor little green woodpecker)o:laughing-smiley-004

Time to make a biodynamic woodpecker ash treatment? ;) Guaranteed to ward-off future attacks if sprinkled around the hive, provided you scatter it whilst walking clockwise round the hive under the light of a full moon.

has anyone tried a decoy to scare woody aware

something like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FALCON-GARDEN...Garden_GardenOrnaments_JN&hash=item5d2c5cf24e

or an owl like this

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=owl+decoy

just found another assocation hive dead from Mr woody's getting through the wire ( but dying trapped inside the wire cage.....Ahhhh poor little green woodpecker)o:laughing-smiley-004
Guess it will be like the dummy heron guarding fish ponds , works for a little while but birds maybe bird brained but don't read that as totally thick :laughing-smiley-004

John Wilkinson

there is an Owl Decoy on one of the local allotment sites. it's so successful, it's covered in bird sh*t !!

there is an Owl Decoy on one of the local allotment sites. it's so successful, it's covered in bird sh*t !!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I have a scarecrow, Blackbirds sit on its arms to eat the red currants next to him.

Point (and discharge) a loaded shotgun at most birds and they DON'T take off as if someone was pointing a walking stick at them!!!!!

Ok back to the drawing board , i will order a 60mm role of square 1" mesh wire,

I suspect that you needn't apply for a job today involving landing on far away planets. NASA have been there and done that with mixed units of measure and misplaced decimal places, with unexpected results.

A typo rather than a Freudian slip I believe, but I have to smile. Wiley woody causing you to under order.

Are there any stats for loss of colonies due to woodpeckers? It can obviously be expensive in terms of equipment, bees and emotions - very dispiriting, particularly when the situation is still ongoing.

Ok back to the drawing board , i will order a 60mm role of square 1" mesh wire,

I suspect that you needn't apply for a job today involving landing on far away planets. NASA have been there and done that with mixed units of measure and misplaced decimal places, with unexpected results.

A typo rather than a Freudian slip I believe, but I have to smile. Wiley woody causing you to under order.

Are there any stats for loss of colonies due to woodpeckers? It can obviously be expensive in terms of equipment, bees and emotions - very dispiriting, particularly when the situation is still ongoing.

perhaps i keep micro bees :coolgleamA:

stats

we have a large association apiary with 26 hives of various types for training and beginer mentorship

5 ply hives , 1" squ mesh ,just a few scratches
1 ply Nuc, no mesh, no attack
poly Nuc, hex chicken mesh depressed by woody and broken through roof (saved)
2 cedar two lost, hex chicken wire mesh, appears woody managed to get through a gap as found dead on the inside of the wire of one
4 cedar hex chicken wire mesh, damaged but alive (saved)
1 cedar ,damp proof plastic, damaged at edge only no break through

1 beehaus appears dead but not though Mr Woody

the rest aere 13 mixed OSB, various Dartington styles, 14x12s and two hedgecoes protected by plastic Damp proof membrane, 1" square mesh or double layers of mesh:-all safe

this problem of poorly fitted chicken wire was not helped by crows sitting on the chicken wire mesh to feed on bees pushed out on the landing board.This depressed the chicken wire mesh allowing Mr Woody in i also suspect that too many cooks spoiled the broth when it came to protection and checking the mesh cages

but DP membrane or double layer chicken wire or 1"mesh worked well

Last edited:
Certainly not something I would want to come across at the end of a bad week.

I think the protected status of Mr Woody is a bit of an impediment at times. Like having to be a one legged man in a kicking contest.

Thanks for the figures.

I have my hive wrapped in thinsulate (well, I thought "plumbers use that stuff to lag pipes; there must be a benefit if I try insulating my hive with it!), and I have moved into an area where woodpeckers are apparently resident. I am wondering if the thinsulate is going to be enough of a deterrent, or if I need to order mesh too ...

Is it at all practical to use electric fence technology to deter woodpeckers - Zap! And would that be a learned behaviour too?

Probably too much hassle because of the area to protect even if it was effective for a single hive.

Is it at all practical to use electric fence technology to deter woodpeckers - Zap! And would that be a learned behaviour too?

Probably too much hassle because of the area to protect even if it was effective for a single hive.

If my ducks are anything to go by they won't even notice the wire is there:beatdeadhorse5:.

Try a fur cat decoy, seems to work with my hives, the only downside is when it rains it gets very bedraggled, and I have to dry it out, I put it in the tumble dryer last time and it looked like an exploded hair bomb. just sit it near the hives

In addition to keep the weather and woody off the hives as well I use Tyvec roofing breathable membrane,just pinned to the hive with drawing pins, it keeps the wood dry and does not allow condensation to form, no more problems from woody

Ha ha a ha ha
Mike

Latest posts

Back