Woodpecker Decoy Bird of Prey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone tried CD/DVD's, hanging on a bit of string so they turn and flash in the wind. It works with Blackbirds on grape vines.

Has anyone tried CD/DVD's, hanging on a bit of string so they turn and flash in the wind. It works with Blackbirds on grape vines.
really? all of the times i've seen c.d's used as 'bird scarers' were on crops that were still being eaten by birds!!

The trouble with any type of scarer is the birds get used to them. I never fail to be amased by the number of birds at the clay pigeon shoots I've been to:hurray:

"never fail to be amased by the number of birds at the clay pigeon shoots I've been to"
:iagree:
once saw a colleague take out two clays AND a passing woodie whilst doing a round of skeet.

anyone considered "armour plating" their hives with, for example, varroa mesh? - only need 2 sheets of 450x450 and that'll cover 4 sides of a national brood. 4 sheets would do 3 supers.

given the cost of hives and bees the extra cost wouldn't be too great for most people - you can get 4 galvanised on ebay for £18 inc so thats £9 per hive (plus screws/nails).

and before anyone mentions the obvious problem - a pair of metal handles for the hive a only a quid or two.

"never fail to be amased by the number of birds at the clay pigeon shoots I've been to"
:iagree:
once saw a colleague take out two clays AND a passing woodie whilst doing a round of skeet.

:svengo:What a shot. I'm lucky to get one clay with 2 shots:smilielol5::smilielol5:

What seems to be needed is Chobham armour or when they scrap the Space Shuttles, some of those light weight ceramic tiles from the undersides.

Back