Women for Bees Initiative on World Bee Day

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amari

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
A centre page spread in yesterday's Guardian, featuring Angelina Jolie

Attachments

• CD79C961-7B0F-42EA-8EEC-68A81A0CBBDE.jpeg
    CD79C961-7B0F-42EA-8EEC-68A81A0CBBDE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I can’t help thinking she looks as if she’s constipated!

It would be nice to see women highlighted who are actually keeping bees in a meaningful way. I know plenty who have dirty fingernails and sore backs from bee work. Maybe just not glamorous enough, eh?

It appears she's some sort of patron of the Women For Bees project, so I guess they're specifically using her celebrity status to draw attention to their work from people who wouldn't really give it a second thought were they to use some random "beekeeper off the street". I do sometimes wonder if she's not as mad as a box of frogs, but perhaps in this case the organisation is getting the kind of PR coverage that it couldn't otherwise justify spending the money on.

James

but perhaps in this case the organisation is getting the kind of PR coverage that it couldn't otherwise justify spending the money on.

James
Why?? As Mike says, lets get a pretty lady with a bad back, dirty finger nails and no or minimal make-up to pose for the photograph.

Why?? As Mike says, lets get a pretty lady with a bad back, dirty finger nails and no or minimal make-up to pose for the photograph.

"Mate, there's a photo here of a woman covered in bees!"
"Yeah, seen people do that sort of thing before."

"Mate, there's a photo here of Angelina Jolie covered in bees!"
"Really? Let's see! What's she doing that for then?"

That's why.

I mean, here we are talking about it. Precisely because it's Angelina Jolie. If it had been some unknown female beekeeper the Guardian quite possibly wouldn't even have printed it and we'd never have heard of it.

James

"Mate, there's a photo here of a woman covered in bees!"
"Yeah, seen people do that sort of thing before."

"Mate, there's a photo here of Angelina Jolie covered in bees!"
"Really? Let's see! What's she doing that for then?"

That's why.

I mean, here we are talking about it. Precisely because it's Angelina Jolie. If it had been some unknown female beekeeper the Guardian quite possibly wouldn't even have printed it and we'd never have heard of it.

James
Sad, but very true

Why sad?
That's what advertising is about. Who wants to look at a grubby lady covered in bees? Maybe another beekeeper but that's a bit of a pointless exercise. We are already converted.
I often see a grubby lady covered in bees and that's sad but true.
The photo is quite a few years old now
She was allegedly terrified but didn't get stung unlike some of the photoshoot team.
Is this a great opportunity to promote ladies cut bee suits (Simon) or am I just another cynical old git?

Why sad?
That's what advertising is about. Who wants to look at a grubby lady covered in bees? Maybe another beekeeper but that's a bit of a pointless exercise. We are already converted.
Because it reinforces the idea that to be ‘noticed’ women have to look a certain way.

I disagree. There is so much darkness in the world a stunning photo of a beautiful woman is a delight and I’m glad the photographer won his award

I disagree. There is so much darkness in the world a stunning photo of a beautiful woman is a delight and I’m glad the photographer won his award

I've got to admit that these days she looks disturbingly anorexic to me. When I saw the pictures of her visit to Ukraine on the news a while back I actually thought she must be ill.

James

Back