wired queen excluder ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prana vallabha

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 national hives , 1 nuc
i have a national hive with bottom bee space which way up does the queen excluder go on i,e- flat side or side with rim around it

For BBS the wired QE has the bee space (rim) facing down to allow the bees to move over the tops of the frames. The flat side facing up to keep only 1 bee space in the super above.

I agree, well described :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For BBS the wired QE has the bee space (rim) facing down to allow the bees to move over the tops of the frames. The flat side facing up to keep only 1 bee space in the super above.

I have my frames level with the top of my box. Does this mean that using a plastic (flat) QE is not correct? I have noticed that adding the QE onto the box does tend to trap bees on the top of the frames.

I have my frames level with the top of my box. Does this mean that using a plastic (flat) QE is not correct? I have noticed that adding the QE onto the box does tend to trap bees on the top of the frames.

Not really, I was just taught that using a framed excluder (specifically wired) will let the bees move about easier and get into and out of the super above faster that the flat plastic of metal slotted variety.

I have both but tend to prefer the framed wired type more.

Also a flat excluder will always get glued to the tops of the frames (on BBS) so you always end up trying to gently prise it off every inspection.

correct and what works are two different matters.

correct is that ALL gaps in the hive are correct beespace.

an excluder touching the frames will get stuck to them and be more of a hassle to remove and keep clean.

:iagree:

Much prefer wired excluders to plastic ones. Bees seem to go through much easier and plastic get welded to the tops of the frames.

correct and what works are two different matters.

correct is that ALL gaps in the hive are correct beespace.

an excluder touching the frames will get stuck to them and be more of a hassle to remove and keep clean.

I do concur. If you'd turn the QE with gap upwards, you'd have double beespace meaning lots of burr comb (or however you spell that)

Back