Wire excluder Queen trap

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Comb

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
10+
Just looking to buy one on T's site and nearly fell off my chair at the cost. £53.29. Frame NOT included?

Anyone got one? Looks just like a couple of pieces of excluder fixed to each side of a frame, or am I missing something?

Here wire excluder 12 euros and plastic 6 euro = 10 pounds and 5 pounds

Last edited:
Just looking to buy one on T's site and nearly fell off my chair at the cost. £53.29. Frame NOT included?

Anyone got one? Looks just like a couple of pieces of excluder fixed to each side of a frame, or am I missing something?

Yes they are expensive things. (Labour to hand craft it?)

I haven't used one.
But thanks for alerting me to the fact that they are now made with wire-type excluder panels. I had only seen them with slotted zinc panels...
Good to know!

Not bought one but I saw the price and thought - there must be a simple way of making one. One thought was to improvise with a galvanised steel excluder and a pop riveter. Alternatively, a plastic excluder could be bent using heat and edges joined using hot melt glue.

Yes, I use one for getting larva of the right age for raising queens.
Put a frame with drawn comb and the queen into it, four days later use the larva that are present to graft into queen cups.

Works very well.

"Are you sure the frame goes above the excluder?"

yes - otherwise HM isn't limited to the single frame!!!!!

obviously if you have supers on the hive you'd either put them above another QE above the frame with the queen on OR since HM is upstairs, below the QE.

Latest posts

Back