Winter Work

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One has to strike while the iron is hot. I was told about a garage needing clearing in the locality a couple of weeks ago - and the offer was free timber so I couldn't really turn it down.

I've been thinking about making a quad hive stand for a while to go on one of my better sites to both fit more hives in one space and also see whether having a North, South, East, West configuration would make any difference to the yield or performance of the hives.

I'm sure Bro Adam could probably answer that, and I have an inkling I know the answer but below is the first of a number of these stands to be made.

The timber is oak, or something very like oak - hard as nails. The legs 10x10 ex-railway posts I picked up a few years ago. They are probably a bit high but it saves my back.

The stand is now creocoated and drying nicely.

In other news, the trailer bed needs renewing and I'm keeping an eye on the wholesale jar prices as I suspect they are about to see a price hike (along with so much else) and I have mislaid one of my rechargeable Makita batteries - no idea where the little ****** has gone to. I think the pixies have been moving things over Christmas.

Speaking of which, I painted up a pallet load of poly nucs and dry stored them while still wet a few weeks ago. Having learned the hard way a few years ago, it seems masonry paint doesn't like to dry in damp conditions, and cold conditions, and especially the latter causes it to flake and peel when in use. So keeping the nucs indoors undercover while drying seems to have produced a far better finish to the paint.

Trouble is, like with so many things, I have space and then fill it. And then need more space...

Well lets hope the spring comes soon and the bees start their new season strongly !

KR

S

Attachments

• quad stand.jpg
    quad stand.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 525
  • quadstand2.jpg
    quadstand2.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 34
I have some hives in early morning sunlight and some in shade till 11am in summer.

No apparent difference in yields.

the feedback on whether you have Omicron or t'other depends on which Lab your PCR test is sent to as some have the ability to work out the variant and some don't

and from today PCRs aren't to be used if you don't have symptoms yet test +ve on a LFT ...

It's all tickety-boo until the next monster super variant appears.

I hate China
And yet we all still continue to order stuff from China from Amazon..... :unsure:
MY OH has had Covid twice, in April 2020 and this Christmas. We assume the Omicron in December as symptoms were akin to a horrible cold. I still don't appear to have caught it (🤞) and she reckons even if someone stuffed a Covid saturated swab up my nose, I still wouldn't....

Latest posts

Back