Winter ventilation and mouse guards

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Underfloor entrance? Not familiar with the term - thanks!
All my hives, poly, wood, nucs are on them. I’ve taken JBMs great design and moved the entrance to half way back decreasing the area of mesh by half
If I have a nuc particularly at risk from wasps it’s easy to reduce the entrance with a big sponge giving the bees a really long tunnel they can fill with guards.

Was that on the Maisemore detached nuc floor, or the all in one nuc? (I also have several Maisemore nucs overwintering, all on detached floor nucs)

The all-in-one, with the round entrance. Though now I think about it, I actually think it was in the Paynes poly nuc. Same shape entrance though, so same issue. I have bought an endoscope camera to look inside the hives and nucs during winter, to avoid a repeat! I am aware that there are cheaper ways to spot mice, but I like it for other reasons.

Saw this on jobs to do from this months post from National bee supplies re single brood box and wondered about the pro's and cons of the practice. Maybe an empty super underneath would negate the need of a mouseguard but then would it not make the hive colder ? Quote : If you are wintering your bees on single a British standard brood chamber, add an empty super (no frames) underneath brood box, this will give more space for bees to winter.

Maybe an empty super underneath would negate the need of a mouseguard

Not colder (assuming you have an OMF), but they would be less likely to guard the entrance (further from combs) and I think the mouse could climb up to the combs anyway?

The all-in-one, with the round entrance. Though now I think about it, I actually think it was in the Paynes poly nuc. Same shape entrance though, so same issue. I have bought an endoscope camera to look inside the hives and nucs during winter, to avoid a repeat! I am aware that there are cheaper ways to spot mice, but I like it for other reasons.
I much prefer the detached floor nuc option. Cost slightly more but more practical IMO. Entrance is also quite narrow, don’t think a mouse can get in (never happened here).

I much prefer the detached floor nuc option. Cost slightly more but more practical IMO. Entrance is also quite narrow, don’t think a mouse can get in (never happened here).

Yes, might try one at some point. I can see the potential advantages in terms of manipulations etc. Though I really like the convenience of a spinning plastic entrance disc on the all-in-ones.

I have seen a hive with mouseguard TOTALLY blocked with dead bees in winter...
I run a mix of OMF and solid floors.
Varroa boards in all winter, entrance width reduced. No mouseguards. All hives on stands 20-30cm off ground...
Never seen mice in hives... seen them under them and in greenhouse/garage etc..(edge of fields and woods.)

I have never left varroa boards in other than for a few days after sublimating with OA after Xmas. Never seen my narrow entrances jammed with dead bees either but then I make sure the opening in the block is downwards so the bees don't have to haul dead bodies over an obstacle. Otherwise we agree. But then we are so long in tooth on these pages perhaps to know anything that the relative newbies as taught as best practice these days?

I have never left varroa boards in other than for a few days after sublimating with OA after Xmas. Never seen my narrow entrances jammed with dead bees either but then I make sure the opening in the block is downwards so the bees don't have to haul dead bodies over an obstacle. Otherwise we agree. But then we are so long in tooth on these pages perhaps to know anything that the relative newbies as taught as best practice these days?

I suspect local climate makes a big impact on how we each overwinter.

I suspect local climate makes a big impact on how we each overwinter.
Yes it does. Although I don't use the ubiquitous BS national I do have OMF; however I do leave the inspection board "in" most of the time. In winter especially its "in" - just too much wind, its pretty well constant. The one benefit of the wind is that we don't suffer sooo much from midges ! - that and a plethora of wind farms.

just too much wind, its pretty well constant. The one benefit of the wind is that we don't suffer sooo much from midges ! - that and a plethora of wind farms.
No wonder it's so windy with all those fans around

Latest posts

Back