Cheap wasp Guard

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oandy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi folks last year my hives were being attacked I tried narrowing the entrance to one bee space with out much success. I hade a length of 25mm x 16mm mini cable trunking. So cut a few lengths to 200mm long. Cut out a slot to the capping of the trunking and drilled a small hole each end of the capping. Fixed this over the entrance to the hive. Then clipped the channel of the trunking to one end of the capping and slid it home. The bees were a bit bemused initially. They discovered the ends and a few hrs later were useing it like they'd never been there. This year I slid the channel on only so far as to leave he slot efully visible then moved it to the full cover when the wasps started to attack. The bees to get used to even more quickly. I have 6 hives so as my friend he and I agree that the wasp attacks have vanished. We believe that it gives the bees a better chance to block or fight of the wasps because of the tunnels. I also left the guards on over winter for 2 reasons one to as mouse guards I fixed a couple of pins at each end of the guards to narrow the ends of the tunnels. Two to stop day light giving the bees a false sense of bright weather.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back