Winter storage of drawn frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jif5

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Having lost several drawn frames to wax month over the winters, and not wanting to use chemicals ( and I haven’t got a freezer big enough to freeze them) I have had great success in the last few years storing my drawn frames overwinter in Jumbo vacuum storage bags ( I got my in Argos two for £10.00)
Two supers fit nicely in each one. The top and bottom edge as get reinforced with some gaffa tape to stop the risk of leaks. It seems to protect the frames + I am assuming the lack of oxygen kills off any wax moth lava if present. They can be reused for several years so are pretty cost effective. See the picture attached.

Attachments

• 736F7E13-EA1C-4758-93F8-7ECC6343B10F.jpeg
    736F7E13-EA1C-4758-93F8-7ECC6343B10F.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 94
Will that kill them then?

I must have been lucky last year first year needing to store supers and I just put them in a cupboard. But I've seen a few lava and killed them so I'm a bit concerned about storing supers this time

Yes. I used it for the first time last year and would not be without it now. Not had bad problems till I moved to Somerset and lost about six boxes to the blighters!
E

I've used Certan for a couple of years now and on the whole it's been very successful. I've just taken delivery of 500gm of DIPEL from Italy .. see this thread:

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42282

which costs a fraction of what Certan now costs ...

No brainer really .. you only have to witness the devastation and horrible mess that wax moths cause to try and make sure it never happens again.

I store my spare frames in either supers or brood boxes with ply sheets top and bottom of the stack well strapped down and cinched toght and I put thin perspex sheets in between every other box so if I do get a problem it is confined to a limited number of boxes... I use these from Paynes Bees:

https://www.paynesbeefarm.co.uk/polystyrene-national-hive/spare-flexi-crownboard-for-poly-national/

They also come with new hives from Paynes but I don't like them as crown boards ... but great for storing frames !

Not very plastic eco friendly but works.
We have been storing our 'wet' supers using pallet wrap for years and apart from an occasional gap which has allowed bees or wasps to get at them, not had any problems, stored outside and bees readily take to them in spring.
S

I hang mine up outdoors, under the roof of my open firewood shed.
Nice and cold and lets the light in too, which waxmoth hate. You get a few spiderwebs but not many. I guess the spiders catch the moths.

Last two years though, I've started keeping some near the floor of my greenhouse which is cold in winter and obviously lets lots of light in. Even on a warm day, down on the floor it never gets warm enough to harm the wax.

Latest posts

Back