Winter Projects ! ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I been thinking a lot about this beefriendly. I was thinking along the lines of a trailer that would take a pallet but slides under and out. If that makes any sense?

One of these perhaps?
B64.jpg

https://www.glenbrook.co.nz/Beehive+Lifters+NZ.html
Made in Finland....tested on Finmans hives full of honey...

Some good custom trailers coming onto the market designed to hold your hives in place.
przyczepa-do-transportu-uli

Last edited:
Looks nice BF but must cost a few ££ the hiab route is a nice looking bit of kit too. I would of thought you have lifting kit HM?

Portable 12v Electric Crane Hoist , only about£300 could mod it maybe ?

Second hand swing lift, lot cheaper.

Last edited:
Portable 12v Electric Crane Hoist , only about£300 could mod it maybe ?

Second hand swing lift, lot cheaper.

Can't find the link, but there are some bee hive trailers with a 12v hive lifter (similar to those HM links showed) that attaches to the A-Frame at the front of the trailer. An amateurs equivalent to the pro stuff.
Sure I found them somewhere on this site..perhaps a senior moment :D
As you age these things become more important...

Last edited:
What is the device that actually holds the boxes in HM links? I could DIY the hoist but would need to source that lifting thingymojig??

Not the one I was thinking of but a heavy duty Ifor Williams A frame crane for trailers...
crane-in-air.jpg

Why? though is that model too jercky .

Too slow and cumbersome, not flexible enough with the arm movements, plus the controls need to be on the lifting cradle or hand radio remote as in the easy loader, which can lift and swing hives round fast to place hives in any position or height on the truck or trailer, plus automatic leveling when being used on steep ground.

I been boarding in Bulgaria, had great time and real cheap! Very basic though

My daughter wants to keep bees commercially. I have tooled up my garage for semi mass-production of woodwork. We are standardised on Commercial hives and I can now now produce broods and supers very rapidly using lock-mitre joints. I have a normal router table for rebates and a table dedicated to the lock mitre jointing. In 2018 we would like to go to 12 hives and in 2019 40 or so if all goes well. However - as Robert Burns wrote "The best laid plans o' mice and men gang aft aglae". We shall see. I want to produce a horizontal hive that uses standard Commercial frames. A sort of cross between a Commerical and a top-bar (and No - it is not intended to be like a Dartington). My other experiment is with Ozone. I used to grow mushrooms and have an ozone generator. I am going to build a bottom and lid for a brood box with a gas port to pump it in. It is a very efficient killer of micro-organisms. That is my winter. Sorry - no motorbikes!!

Just got down to reading a book on the Manooky phenomenon gifted to me by a forum member quite a while ago (now that my eye is fixed!!).
Now know that the honey's anti microbial properties (something we all accept as fact anyway, and what makes it suck a good topical wound dressing) were 'discovered' by a Welshman, I'm over halfway through now and no mention that eating the damn stuff is any better for you than any other honey.
Pity the author is another one of the anti AMM Zealots

jenkinsbrynmair;612634 said:
It's not there.
My reading from the book was topical external application has major effects but taken internally no better than any other honey ....look for the bit where they try it against stomach ulcers. It doesn't work!...these are bacterial infections where it "should" work better than normal honey internally.
It's as good a bit of misleading spin as I've read.

It's not there.
My reading from the book was topical external application has major effects but taken internally no better than any other honey ....look for the bit where they try it against stomach ulcers. It doesn't work!...these are bacterial infections where it "should" work better than normal honey internally.
It's as good a bit of misleading spin as I've read.

That's tonight's reading - Mrs J turns the lights out once I start shouting at the book so I got as far as the mention of ulcers before the lights went out.
The new Zealanders are good at marketing spin - look at their rather plain uninteresting yellow grease anchor butter, the bland virtually inedible green gorilla bollocks (a lot of them farmed by Welshmen too to the national shame) and their lamb - another characterless insipid product - but the brits buy tons of all of it!!

Do they still make Germolene?

Don't know - bet it tastes better on your toast though.

Originally Posted by Erichalfbee View Post
Do they still make Germolene?

I think it is distilled from Manuka honey.......

Nos da

Latest posts

Back