winter bees in the making

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meidel

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I think one of my colonies has finally decided they're making preparations for winter. I haven't inspected them and don't plan to since beginning of September. But a week ago I removed the apiguard super and brought the crown board down to just above the top bars, left the ambrosia on in the 4 pt rapid feeder over the feeder hole and insulated on top and closed up. This morning when I went down to the apiary I saw a lot of dead larval bodies outside the hive and on the landing board.

I guess the bees must be making room for winter storage now!

Did you check stores when you took apiguard off?
Have they eaten your ambrosia?
Could they be chucking out brood because they are starving?

could be starvation ... when they had the apiguard on, they had a super size eke and didnt' touch a single drop of the ambrosia but they'd been really busy bringing in pollen and nectar - infact with the ivy around they\d been behaving much like a summer flow. It's true that the weather changed for the wetter over last week, but I just assumed that the dead larval bodies was a sign of them having enough of feeding larvae ... I shall have a look to see if they've touched the ambrosia - because it had been on the crown board for so long, I tasted it and it still tasted alright ... so assumed it was ok

they've eatern half the amount of syrup - so over the last 8 or so days, 2 pts, but as it's really sunny and around 14C today they're all going in and out like it's a flow on - i suppose there is an ivy flow as far as they're concerned and they prefer that. There was one solitary bee in the feeder!

... I haven't inspected them and don't plan to since beginning of September. ... This morning when I went down to the apiary I saw a lot of dead larval bodies outside the hive and on the landing board.

I guess the bees must be making room for winter storage now!

Rather than guessing, you'd be much better to do a proper inspection.
No reason not to with the nice weather this weekend.

hmm yet I'm still confident the bees know best - they were very busy today and previously. I've lost my newbie curiosity to look into the hive at every sunny moment. What could I do if they choose not to eat the syrup? I could offer fondant I suppose .... they all prefer fondant to syrup I've found in my limited experience of beekeeping.

Latest posts

Back