Windows 10 ..... Heads up ??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barbarian

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I was speaking to a friendly helpful technical adviser at Plus Net on another matter.

Mentioning Windows 10, I was told that some customers had found bugs. I was advised to hold off until these are fixed.

I keep getting a pop-up offering a free upgrade to Windows 10, and have been wondering what to do about it - I'd also heard that 10 has glitches. I guess that in the end I'll have to upgrade as, no doubt, 7 will no longer be supported.

windows 10

I downloaded it come to part where it said finish it wiped everything off and all I could get was a blank screen had it into shop and they said to repair it it would work out cheaper to get a new one and had to go buy a new computer leave it alone had loads of people complain about it

I have been running it on a desktop for 3 ? 4 weeks with no issues. Brilliant.

My son downloaded it onto his W8 laptop and it has basically trashed the system and is unrecoverable.

I has a W7 laptop (Sony Vaio Z11) and Sony advise not to upgrade due to driver incompatibilities.

If you value what you have on your Pc now, stay away from any new Os for at least a year or when the first service pack is out.

Windows 7 is the most stable of all the consumer Ms Os, stick with that for now.

I guess I'm a dinosaur on this list...I'm still using Windows XP and no problems. Don't think my computers could cope with anything more advanced, some creak with XP.

I upgraded to 10 on my tablet, it gives you the option of switching from tablet to desktop mode, I can't see any real benefits from 7, windows edge is just bing. Apple is a far better product and I feel windows is trying to catch up but not doing a very good job of it

I have loaded Windows 10 on 2 laptops without any problem.
However it totally did in my mums laptop.
Definitely back up you data before upgrading.

My friend who is well up on computers said that Microsoft produced a download to reverse the machine back to previous version of Windows as there were so many complaints about version 10! Not good!:hairpull:

:)
Hasn't there been complaints and bugs with every version of windows?

Yep! As far as I know though, it's the first time Microsoft has actually admitted they 'got it wrong' at the first launch and provided a package specifically to 'retro' a version.

Mine works like a dream, I didn't do a clean installation, just swapped it for windows 8. Kept all my files and settings. Nothing lost and everything works.
E

Mine works like a dream, I didn't do a clean installation, just swapped it for windows 8. Kept all my files and settings. Nothing lost and everything works.
E

Sometimes you get lucky ...I have lost count of the hours I've spent trying to fix problems caused by MS using the end user as their testers ....

I'd never recommend migrating to any new windows OS ... wait till the eager beavers have found all the bugs and MS have fixed them. One of the windows (I can't remember which) had about 36 patches before it was fixed ... MS never admitted there was a problem !

Oh ... and WIndows 10 may be free at present .. but read the small print .. you have to pay for it eventually ... MS do nothing for free !

I guess I'm a dinosaur on this list...I'm still using Windows XP and no problems. Don't think my computers could cope with anything more advanced, some creak with XP.

Running Vista on one computer OK

8 on laptops and other devices...... not user friendly I find on a PC!

As with others our computer expert ( I T Consultant ) said lever 10 alone until Mikro softies have sorted it.
OR go over to Apple!!

Mytten da

Oh ... and WIndows 10 may be free at present .. but read the small print .. you have to pay for it eventually ... MS do nothing for free !

What!! Are you saying they are going to be asking me for money now. I certainly have not got the time to read the small print. :willy_nilly:

Last edited:

What!! Are you saying they are going to be asking me for money now. I certainly have not got the time to read the small print. :willy_nilly:

I think it's time limited software .. you will eventually get an email asking you to buy a licence if you want to continue using it or have it fixed (sorry upgraded !).. not sure how long you have got but Son No.1 who is control systems engineer (who told me about it) reckons they will start looking for 'payment' as soon as they have enough people who have upgraded ... It's a bit ambiguous:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/29...-10-how-long-do-windows-10-upgrades-last.html

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/10/free-windows-10-charges/

I think it's time limited software .. you will eventually get an email asking you to buy a licence if you want to continue using it or have it fixed (sorry upgraded !).. not sure how long you have got but Son No.1 who is control systems engineer (who told me about it) reckons they will start looking for 'payment' as soon as they have enough people who have upgraded ... It's a bit ambiguous:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/29...-10-how-long-do-windows-10-upgrades-last.html

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/10/free-windows-10-charges/

Well thanks for the heads up on that one. Old Bill is going to find it PDD to get any of my cash!!

Sorry patgyle but that's wrong. Free forever to windows 7 8 and 8:1 users
Everybody else has to pay about £100
After a year everyone will have to pay if they have failed to upgrade in the year before.
E

Latest posts

Back