will they re-locate?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blodwen

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have had a stroppy queenless wbc hive for some time this year and recently added a frame of eggs resulting in 4 queencells. Kept one and the bees temper has improved dramatically for the last 2 weeks. I know she will take time to mate & start laying etc, but this late in the season am I better off finding and removing the new queen and uniting them with a late - hived swarm who is doing really well?
If I do, can I put the swarm (in a wbc brood box) into the wbc on hte original wbc site? If the new swarm is above the original (with newspaper inbetween) will the new bees relocate on the new site or will they try to go back to where they are now (about 50 yards away) ..... the swarm is now established and laying on it's present site.
I hope that all makes sense - it's been a long day!:rolleyes:

wait as there will be loads of drones around for some time so she will mate over the next few weeks.

I've known bee keepers to combine as late as October although the weather was still mild at the time. I gauge each colony in the first week in September just before I start feeding and treating them.

Latest posts

Back