Wild honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrico

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Watching Jamie and Jimmy last night on TV and he was crowing about wild honey. Apparently honey from a home made log hive.
So.... My question is.... Can I charge a premium for my wld honey which is produced by my bees from the same flowers.
Is it wild honey because of where the bees live, the flora they collect from or because they are not disturbed, except to collect the honey of course.
Is all honey wild, even if it is mainly crop honey such as rape. Just a few random thoughts!
If I called all my honey wild honey would that be allowed? Is this the new kid on the block after raw honey?
Jimmy seemed to think it tasted different to normal honey! The power of advertising changing what the mind thinks?
May try and sell a few jars for a£10 price tag and see what people think.
Could do an experiment with three identical jars labeled...honey...raw honey....wild honey and see if people realise!
E

Watching Jamie and Jimmy last night on TV and he was crowing about wild honey. Apparently honey from a home made log hive.
So.... My question is.... Can I charge a premium for my wld honey which is produced by my bees from the same flowers.
Is it wild honey because of where the bees live, the flora they collect from or because they are not disturbed, except to collect the honey of course.
Is all honey wild, even if it is mainly crop honey such as rape. Just a few random thoughts!
If I called all my honey wild honey would that be allowed? Is this the new kid on the block after raw honey?
Jimmy seemed to think it tasted different to normal honey! The power of advertising changing what the mind thinks?
May try and sell a few jars for a£10 price tag and see what people think.
Could do an experiment with three identical jars labeled...honey...raw honey....wild honey and see if people realise!
E
Not that old chestnut again :rolleyes:

My bees foraged honey from organic wheat field thistles, but the honey was not organic. My boy invented that it may be 30% organic.

Incidentally, my son in law has a colony living in a log, it's a section of a felled tree. The centre is hollow and the bees took up residence after it had been cut. Removing any honey would be a bit of a task.

Incidentally, my son in law has a colony living in a log, it's a section of a felled tree. The centre is hollow and the bees took up residence after it had been cut. Removing any honey would be a bit of a task.

You think that it is a wild happening?

You think that it is a wild happening?

A swarm taken up residence in a log. Probably from a managed hive so not wild in the true sense but a colony of bees living naturally, doing their own thing could possibly be considered wild ... by some. ;)

Wild honey is the sort you get when you stick your arm into a tree nest, especially on the tele. Ask Bear Grylls. He knows :D

I've never been convinced of the RAW honey thing. That makes an assumption that honey gets pasteurised?? Sounds bonkers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Watching Jamie and Jimmy last night on TV and he was crowing about wild honey. Can I charge a premium for my wld honey which is produced by my bees from the same flowers.

Is it wild honey because of where the bees live, May try and sell a few jars for a£10 price tag and see what people think!

Just the latest Buzz words, after all he's from the town (or at least the researchers were)!

You could also try leaving some bits in it & calling ty "un-refined", got to be worth an extra fiver a jar + maybe a little similar to J & J???

We have all kind of food stuff humbug. Just now they are selling "free hens eggs", " free cow's milk".

Most funny is "near food" in Capital City. To me the most near is Chinese restaurant.

If people feel healthy and happy this way, everything is OK.

Why on earth? Isn't it antimicrobial and and self preserving by it's very nature?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Maybe because the producers want to stop the corn syrup (with which the "honey" has been adulterated) from deteriorating!

CVB

To give it a longer shelf life as clear and to help prevent fermentation if higher moisture content.

Yes, and thats only because the public perceive honey thats crystallised as " gone off"

it would save so much work if they accepted it in its primary form, before it naturally changes!

My main outlet a few years ago ask if I was happy to modify my label.

Raw
Local
Unrefined

I wonder if there is room for: Wild
Seems to tick all the boxes!

My main outlet a few years ago ask if I was happy to modify my label.

Raw
Local
Unrefined

I wonder if there is room for: Wild
Seems to tick all the boxes!

Remain a space for text "free bees' honey".

There are an EU order, that you cannot sell honey as "raw"...
That local honey. We have such jars printed.

I calculated once that USA had 4000 local honeys, if locals' radius is 50 km.

But when they migrate 2000 km their hives, they have quite many locations in their jar. Sold in 10 000 pound dosages.

Something like that.

Latest posts

Back