Why use pollen patties?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pollen powder from Ickowicz in France link below, 12 euro for 2kg. Its whats left after pollen is cleaned for sale but should be ok for patties. Their mail order rates are usually reasonable but you will have to order by e-mail as their website ordering only works for France.

http://www.icko-apiculture.com/en/pollen-francais-declasse-sac-de-2-kg.html

P.S. Just realised from Finmans post that this is probably not irradiated so possibly not worth risking.

Last edited:
It seems to me that irradiated pollen is not a good business. Licences to import pollen from China is a hard job.
Then if you get claims that pollen spreads diseases like AFB, a bad reputation is not worth of money what you get from pollen.
Companies sell patty but they do not mix pollen there. - Why?

I am also thinking about making pollen patties ...and fancy the challenge of getting the ingredients.

Once made up, what sort of a shelf life does it have? can it be frozen?

pete see my post in soya flour thread for prices and quantities and where to get from.

Your ingredients will mainly be good for a year if kept sealed up, but whatever pattie you make feed and don't try to store it as it will dry out and not be enjoyed by the bees.

Just like a freezer full of bread . . . Do you enjoy looking forward to a good meal only to be given what the kids didn't want yesterday? I don't think so either!

Remember, that for a B Class question, an A Class answer is unnecessary.

Last edited:
you could always go to maplin and buy a domestic vac packer, this will draw out most of the air and then when you go to use it just slash the bag. This is no different to what you would do if you bought the product in.

what is the amount of date used in the Finman receipe. and is it crushed and grinded before use?

Cheers,
lauri

what is the amount of date used in the Finman receipe. and is it crushed and grinded before use?

Cheers,
lauri

I do not quite understand that question?

crush and grind ....pollen pellets?

When they are dry, only way is to add some water 10 l pellets and 0,7 l water. Then pellets soften over night.

::::
With patty I load hives for one week. Normal hive eates about 500-700 g patty in a week.

Extra patty is better to store into plastic box, like 3 litre candy box, and then you put it into microwave oven when you are going to handle it.
As cold it is impossible to get it out from metal kettle.

Last edited:
To roll a patty between greaseproof paper

First make tray for patty rolling.

Nail 10 mm thick frames onto a ply. The size is proper to grease paper.
Then you roll along frames (between papers) and get properly thick patties.

Patties must be situated onto frames over the bee cluster.

Last edited:
i think i got the question a bit wrong. So i make the patty according to the receipe, replace pollen with equal parts of yeast and soya ( as there is no pollen available ) and then add the soaked dates. so for this 5 kg of patty which i get out of your receipe i have to add how many kg of dates? or do i have to substitude some sugar with dates to get the glucose % right in the mixture. i hope it makes sense :)

this coming year got to get some pollen traps so can collect some pollen for the next spring.

cheers,
Lauri

I have experiences about dates only from last spring. I have no clue what is a good amount. But start first with 500 g in 5 kg patty. Put more and less and look how bees like them.

I use in patties fructose but date is cheaper than fructose. Fructose keeps the patty moist.

Today I read from Australian report that magnesium does not accumulate into bees body like other essential metals. That is perhaps why an Egyptian bee professor (that date man) found magnesium usefull in patty.

Influence of Pollen Diet in Spring on Development of Honey Bee (Hymenoptera: Apidae) Colonies
H. R. Mattilaa, and G. W. Otis
Journal of Economic Entomology 99(3):604-613. 2006

Abstract

The effects of changes in spring pollen diet on the development of honey bee, Apis mellifera L. (Hymenoptera: Apidae), colonies were examined in a 3-yr study (2002–2004). Pollen-supplemented and pollen-limited conditions were created in colonies every spring, and brood rearing and honey yields were subsequently monitored throughout the summer. In all 3 yr, colonies that were supplemented with pollen or a pollen substitute in the spring started rearing brood earlier than colonies in other treatment groups and produced the most workers by late April or early May. In 2002, these initial differences were reflected by a two-fold increase in annual honey yields by September for colonies that were pollen-supplemented during the spring compared with pollen-limited colonies. In 2003 and 2004, differences between treatment groups in the cumulative number of workers produced by colonies disappeared by midsummer, and all colonies had similar annual honey yields (exception: in one year, productivity was low for colonies supplemented with pollen before wintering). Discrepancies between years coincided with differences in spring weather conditions. Colonies supplemented with pollen or a substitute during the spring performed similarly in all respects. These results indicate that an investment in supplementing the pollen diet of colonies would be returned for situations in which large spring populations are important, but long-term improvement in honey yields may only result when spring foraging is severely reduced by inclement weather. Beekeepers should weigh this information against the nutritional deficiencies that are frequently generated in colonies by the stresses of commercial management.

Influence of Pollen Diet in Spring on Development of Honey Bee (Hymenoptera: Apidae) Colonies
H. R. Mattilaa, and G. W. Otis
Journal of Economic Entomology 99(3):604-613. 2006

Abstract

... These results indicate that an investment in supplementing the pollen diet of colonies would be returned for situations in which large spring populations are important, but long-term improvement in honey yields may only result when spring foraging is severely reduced by inclement weather. Beekeepers should weigh this information against the nutritional deficiencies that are frequently generated in colonies by the stresses of commercial management.

Ummm.

For the UK, isn't the idea precisely that a small investment in protein feeding is an insurance payment against a bad spring (and thus poor spring build-up)?
And that insurance would be doubly useful if one was aiming at a crop from OSR.

Sometimes the insurance may not be needed, but when it is ... :)

Ummm.

For the UK, isn't the idea precisely that a small investment in protein feeding is an insurance payment against a bad spring (and thus poor spring build-up)?
And that insurance would be doubly useful if one was aiming at a crop from OSR.

Sometimes the insurance may not be needed, but when it is ... :)
That was my take.

Latest posts

Back