Why use pollen patties?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Content of yeast on horse food is very Low. IT is almost hay. You cannot use it..../QUOTE]

I thought it was Brewers Yeast that beekeepers used in the Patties?

If not Brewers Yeast then what?

I'm reasonably sure we cannot use Bakers Yeast, wouldn't it start fermenting the moment you add water, or are we supposed to cook it a little to prevent the fermentation?

I use living dry baker yeast. 50% sugar content keeps the yeast in rest. Add sugar if it makes bubbles. I can buy it from yeast factory. The price is very low. That is why I use it 2:1. Soft baker yeast has high water content. Protein content is low.

If sugar content is low, for example blue molds hit into patty.

Most patty recipes do not work at all, what we have in internet. Bees do not eate it. You may use ready, commercial patty stuff.

Without irradiated pollen patty recipe does not work. Pollen content must be 20% out of proteins.

Last edited:
I use living dry baker yeast. 50% sugar content keeps the yeast in rest. Add sugar if it makes bubbles. I can buy it from yeast factory. The price is very low. That is why I use it 2:1. Soft baker yeast has high water content. Protein content is low....

Ok, thanks for that, I was unaware that Bakers Yeast could be used instead of Brewers Yeast, mainly because of fermentation issues (which can be solved by using 50%+ sugar you say) but also nutritional reasons, thought the Brewers Yeast was being used as it had a good range of B vitamins, etc.

Latest posts

Back