Why seal the edges of insulation board with aluminium tape?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amari

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Numerous posts recommend sealing the cut edges of foil-covered insulation board with aluminium tape. Why is this? I never have and have not identified any problem.

Numerous posts recommend sealing the cut edges of foil-covered insulation board with aluminium tape. Why is this? I never have and have not identified any problem.

It's a good idea if it's a piece which you regularly remove and replace as it slows down the fraying and discoloration which can occur. An example would be pieces that are used as dummy-boards; but in that case you would be sealing the edges in any case for the reason described above.

If the edges don’t have bee access I don’t seal them either

For what little extra it costs it just stops the edges fraying and it stops the bees or any other critters from burrowing into the foam core...

Bees will eat duct tape and get rid of it possibly making a mess. But they leave aluminium tape alone.
Aluminium tape is useful to make large insulated dummy boards out of kingspan.

Bees will eat duct tape and get rid of it possibly making a mess. But they leave aluminium tape alone.
Aluminium tape is useful to make large insulated dummy boards out of kingspan.
Indeed they do chew duct tape but what is worse is that they then get stuck in the adhesive covered reinforcement strands and die .... Duct tape disaster.JPG

Latest posts

Back