Why many people think that white sugar is poison

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sugar is the basis of life. What makes it poison?

Read from wikipedia carbohydrate digestion

It's not sugar, it's refined sugar which is added to food. There is loads of science that shows a high sugar diet is awful for you. Sugar that occurs naturally in fruits, meats and vegetables isn't really the issue - the shite you spoon into food is.

It's not sugar, it's refined sugar which is added to food. There is loads of science that shows a high sugar diet is awful for you. Sugar that occurs naturally in fruits, meats and vegetables isn't really the issue - the shite you spoon into food is.

Do not mention science for vain.

Clorofyll splits a water molecyle to oxygen and hydrogen. Then hydrogen is conneted to carbon diokside and the result is sugar. It is basic building material to all living creatures.

Nothing wrong in refined sugar.

Do not mention science for vain.

Clorofyll splits a water molecyle to oxygen and hydrogen. Then hydrogen is conneted to carbon diokside and the result is sugar. It is basic building material to all living creatures.

Nothing wrong in refined sugar.

and then sugar is fermented by yeast into ethanol.......

Bliss... isn't Science wonderful!

Yeghes da

and then sugar is fermented by yeast into ethanol.......

Bliss... isn't Science wonderful!

Yeghes da

I think, that if some one tells a good joke, it is a good joke. But if he repeats that same every week, I keep it as mental disorder. That is what i think about you. And I is not a joke issue then.

To explain to a dog, why it barks all the time, it is vain, because dogs bark all the time. It has been bred to bark foreign persons..

I think, that if some one tells a good joke, it is a good joke. But if he repeats that same every week, I keep it as mental disorder. That is what i think about you. And I is not a joke issue then.

To explain to a dog, why it barks all the time, it is vain, because dogs bark all the time. It has been bred to bark foreign persons..

I enjoy throwing sticks for dogs!

Yeghes da

Excessive consumption of sugar is bad for humans. Plain and simple. But there is a reason why. We metabolize sugar by first splitting sucrose into simple sugars glucose and fructose. Our bodies directly metabolize glucose and only store it if we have a huge excess. Fructose is another animal entirely. It is transported to our liver where a series of conversions turn it into atp which we can absorb but in the process roughly 1/3 of the fructose is converted directly into fat. Now factor in that the average person today consumes over 150 pounds of sugar per year and that 75 pounds of that is fructose that produces 25 pounds of fat. Do you still wonder why so many people today are obese? We have a sugar addiction.

Is honey better for you than white sugar? Not really, it still has roughly 50% fructose but it has the advantage that our sense of taste perceives honey as being 30% sweeter than sucrose. We choose to eat less honey because less is required to satisfy our taste for sugar. Our bodies need sugar to live, but we don't need it in the amounts most of us consume.

This guy covers much of the chemical transitions and breaks down the details fairly well. Warning that is is 1.5 hours long! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

On my country average consumption of sugar is 30 kg/person.

Fusion says that USA has 75 kg, and so says google too.Another source says 50 kg.
-

Last edited:
The worrying trend in this country is that we are following(allowing?) the usa in having more and more high fructose corn syrup incorporated into pre made foods, this is because they've a glut of the stuff cheaply, we dont even make it!

The worrying trend in this country is that we are following(allowing?) the usa in having more and more high fructose corn syrup incorporated into pre made foods, this is because they've a glut of the stuff cheaply, we dont even make it!

I eat alot of fructose but its wrapped inside a fruit

Fruit contains fructose, many fruits contain a huge amount, and it's that particular mono sugar that heads to your waistline. "Refined" sugar is merely purified sugar, containing primarily sucrose which is a disaccharide of glucose + fructose. So anything that contains sucrose or fructose is bad in excess. So 3 oranges squeezed into a glass is definitely the wrong side of healthy.

Sugar content of fruits

Fruit (100 grams of edible portion) Sugar Grams (4 grams = ~1 tsp)

Sugar %

Raspberries 4.42
Strawberries 4.66
Blackberries 4.88
Papaya 5.90
Watermelon 6.20
Grapefruit (pink) 6.89
Cantaloupe melon 7.86
Honeydew melon 8.12
Peaches 8.39
Kiwi 8.99
Apricots 9.24
Pineapple 9.26
Oranges 9.35
Pears 9.80
Plums 9.92
Blueberries 9.96
Apples 10.39
Bananas 12.23
Cherries (sweet) 12.82
Mango 14.80
Grapes 16.25
Figs 16.26
Pomegranate 16.57

Apparently its the release mechanism of the fructose in the gut is the problem when eating it when its not in fruit form... Thats biology not my speciality.

On my country average consumption of sugar is 30 kg/person.
Even 30 kg still means each person is producing 5 kg per year of body fat. We could talk all day about eating healthy items like fruits and vegetables, but they don't make us fat. Breakfast cereal is just a bit player though their products have more sugar than most other food categories. The elephant is sweetened soft drinks that have an excess of salt and a huge amount of sugar.

One of the hidden themes of life is that soft drink makers add salt to their drinks. They put salt in to make their drink taste better, then they found that it has the side effect of making us thirstier instead of quenching thirst. They do this deliberately to get us to drink more of their products. To hide the taste of salt, they add sugar until the drink is more like syrup. Drink them if you choose, but be aware that soft drinks account for roughly 65% of sugar intake for people who consume them.

I will not quard what each people eates.
But finman, isn't the UK the ultimate nanny state?

In a nation that provides health care, each citizen bears the burden of care for the obese. That burden might be a bit lighter given that obese people tend to have short lifespans.

Latest posts

Back