Why is nothing straightforward in bee keeping ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorrick

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Well I got a phone call this afternoon, a neighbour knew I had started Bee keeping and said she had a swarm come down her chimney, I thought that sounded a bit strange, so went around and her front room had a few bees in it but there was a huge humming coming from the log burner, it turns out that the bees have made a nest in the chimney and the colony has got so big part of it collapsed and fell down the chimney a bit further, all the bees where a bit annoyed. So opened all the doors and windows, opened up the fire place and they all scooted out and up and back down the chimney, she is quite happy for them to stay there until we can figure out what to do or how to get them out, as they have just had the chimney re-pointed and a new liner put down. I think it might be the case of having to disconnect the chimney where it comes into the fire and knock the nest down from above, unless there is a set procedure for doing it. The last thing she wants to do is call environmental as all they will do is kill it. Any ideas welcome.

Regards

Richard

It might have been better to bag the bees while you had them contained rather than let them out to rebuild in the chimney? If the liner is new they probably hadn't been too secure but the longer they stay there the more difficult the removal will be.
Ain't hindsight wonderful?

I took a call on this from the Ladies Mother. She was going to get her daughter to call me herself but never did, so I thought the may have sorted it.

Straightforward... where's the challenge in that? :) Speaking of chimneys, it turns out that the swarm that a local keeper lost (twice!) on the same day, 3 weeks ago, that my swarm that wasn't (supercedure) was noticed, has made itself very comfy in my disused chimney. He'd asked if I'd seen a swarm that day and I hadn't, but it seems that my riding around the village looking at everyone's chimney but my own, was a fool's errand, and I'm the fool! :)

how can an apparently established colony exist in a recently relined chimney?

Hi Their
It was literally 10 or 20 bees, nothing major, and the recently was 9 months ago. it is a 16th Century farm house, so if it was the old chimney I could accept that as they would have something to attach to, but a stainless steel polished tube, i am amazed that they could attach to it, looks like some of it didn't.

when you said "it turns out that the bees have made a nest in the chimney and the colony has got SO BIG part of it collapsed and fell down the chimney a bit further" i assumed that was an established colony ie not a recent arrival.

Hi Their
It was literally 10 or 20 bees, nothing major, and the recently was 9 months ago. it is a 16th Century farm house, so if it was the old chimney I could accept that as they would have something to attach to, but a stainless steel polished tube, i am amazed that they could attach to it, looks like some of it didn't.

Many versions of flue liner are made from spiral ribbed thin stainless steel. Its not polished so easy to stick to. Bees could have really secure anchorage to build comb onto. I wouldn't like the job of trying to get an established feral hive out of a liner.
The longer its there the worse it gets. The new liner may need renewing before long :ohthedrama:

Hi Lorrick,

I'm a stove installer/sweep and I keep bees. I also live very close to you (I'm in Metfield).

Focusing on the chimney for a moment, If it were mine, I'd want them out as soon as possible. If they're left to build a lot of comb, I think your friend may have little option other than to renew the liner. I think I would be lighting a small smoky fire in the hope of driving them out before they get any more established. Once clear of bees (and hopefully honey), get it swept ASAP. I should point out that I am no expert beekeeper and there are probably many other ways to skin this cat.

I'm fairly busy and definitely not touting for work (I think there are rules about such things), but if you want to call me, you can PM me for my contact details.

apologies to admin if I've broken the commercial rule but being so close to home I couldn't resist sticking my head above the parapet.

Dan.

Latest posts

Back