Why are we paying VAT

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Ashby

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I think its about time the beekeepers complained to the BBKA and government.

20% is unacceptable as we are helping the economy, in fact any VAT on the goods we purchase for beekeeping is unacceptable.

We need more beekeepers, not drive us out with higher costs.

I think its about time the beekeepers complained to the BBKA and government.

20% is unacceptable as we are helping the economy, in fact any VAT on the goods we purchase for beekeeping is unacceptable.

We need more beekeepers, not drive us out with higher costs.
Register for VAT then.

Why don't you start a facebook campaign.

I am certainly in favour of raising the VAT limit, as is the Federation of small business. It costs me a great deal.

PH

as much as i hate paying taxes of one sort or 1000 other,but their woudn,t be any money to pay for anything or have anyone to complain about if somebody didn,t pay some sort of tax.

as much as i hate paying taxes of one sort or 1000 other,but their woudn,t be any money to pay for anything or have anyone to complain about if somebody didn,t pay some sort of tax.

what part of beekeeping is a luxury item?

what part of beekeeping is a luxury item?

Unless you're a commercial keeper, all of it?

To look from the other side, do you declare your honey sales on your tax returns?

Last edited:
We've always had to pay tax on stuff we buy...

I'd be happy as a pig in the proverbial if I paid a grand a week in tax!!

Iam sure if someone speaks to an acountant there would be a tax relief for part of it like protective clothing, traveling, medication pain & suffering

You can (quite easily) place a petition on the No.10 website...if enough beekeepers sign it the Prime Minister is 'duty bound' to consider the subject and answer publicly any who signed the petition...

At one point (when we had a business) we were registered for VAT and saved enough each financial year...to pay the accountant for completing the paper-work!

Just had a quick look and have not read all the info yet, BUT it would appear beekeeping (there may some qualification re: what a beekeeper needs to be in this context i.e. Farmer) May qualify for the Agricultural Flat Rate Scheme.

See http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/vatafrsmanual/index.htm

As I say, I have not read it all yet, but just thought I would post this.

Latest posts

Back