Who's the culprit...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susbees

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
35ish
Top corner of the apiary there are three stands of hives on pallets...of the top three two have had their mouse guard removed clean off - no marks no other obvious damage/claw/teeth marks, third is hanging off on one side. The fourth (and last on the apiary at that "height") is a strong double brood which has not been touched.

No chance of trespassers/eediots.
Mystery...

magpies = shiney mouse guards and the chance of a free meal ???

There are badgers all over here...but as the ground hasn't frozen and they have acres of worms to dig - and chickens to steal...

...it's too neat a job: no tell-tale triangular hairs, no claw marks, nothing. We've had a hen house with the wire vents ripped out and wood splintered before but tend to have trouble when it's dry. Will do a bit of tracking down on the apiary field and see what's what but don't think it's brocks...

We are awash with migrating Jays here at present and there will be many more to come following this snap. If they are the culprit, then we may all be in for a busy time. That is unless you are on Danforth type entrances- no need for mouse guard.

magpies = shiney mouse guards and the chance of a free meal ???

oh dear I'd forgotten they like shiney things ...

picture.php

how much can a magpie carry?

There are badgers all over here...but as the ground hasn't frozen and they have acres of worms to dig - and chickens to steal...

...it's too neat a job: no tell-tale triangular hairs, no claw marks, nothing. We've had a hen house with the wire vents ripped out and wood splintered before but tend to have trouble when it's dry. Will do a bit of tracking down on the apiary field and see what's what but don't think it's brocks...

Yeah, that's why I suggested it as a question rather than a statement :)

I must say I have seen them turn over and empty Apideas - well, the debris from the day after - and after working out the first one clumsily the next ones were very neatly turned, scattered, and combs chewed out with barely a mark on the poly or plastic parts.

My assumption when I see dislodged entrance blocks is that something has been snuffling about at ground level, but something big enough and curious enough.

But then again, maybe it's the big slugs that entered hives in June all leaving for winter quarters!

How long do your kingspan hives last derek? Had any drawbacks using them?

DanB

Great!

I'd do one of those little yellow things clapping, if I could be arsed!

How long do your kingspan hives last derek? Had any drawbacks using them?

Draw backs... the early versions were too fragile and took too long to make.
the latest ones are a lot lot better. Much More robust and a 10th of the time to make and substantially warmer.

Cant rely on old ways with new materials

Had to find a new way of splitting them as the seals stick but often with moisture. But we found out how and its now easier than wood.

They are prototypes, We use them, watch what the bees make of them, and change them when we learn a bit more.

how long do they last? havent see any deterioration in six months though might have to go to black correx to get uv resistance.

Dont want to learn that they attract magpies!

On the bright side, a trail camera would make a really nice Xmas present. :)

Back