Whos not been in yet ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
However when I find brace comb built into the takeaway container that held fondant then that is a clue that the colony is short of space! (**Container was inverted over feed hole**)

One of mine has done just that. What I find confusing is that there are two frames, (well, one and a half) that are undrawn at the front of the hive. The hive is warm way and in a celotex cosy.

One of mine has done just that. What I find confusing is that there are two frames, (well, one and a half) that are undrawn at the front of the hive. The hive is warm way and in a celotex cosy.

You find that with warm way - the bees tend to avoid the first couple of frames if they can - it is still a bit early for bees to freely draw comb anyhow

Quick update on the 2 colonies that I posted photos of.

The wood hive is on a double BB and hasn't used the super as of yesterday.

The Polyhive has filled 3-4 frames and used others in it's first super after 1 week, so they definitely needed the space.

I didn't inspect as such, just a quick look under the crownboards at the height of the sunshine yesterday.

Both hives were very busy.

I've not been in yet.
Itchy fingers to open them up but contenting myself with a peek through the clear cover boards to check they still have some stores and space.
All my hives are busy bringing pollen in, and they all look healthier than the same time last year when the hives were covered in poo from a bout of nosema that they had then.
The air here is cold though, it was hovering just above a frost last night so still a little too cool to break that propolis seal just to satisfy the curiosity.

Going in today and hope to find and mark queens in 5 hives.

Very frustrating weather here in North Devon, too cold to open up. I was hoping to get in today with forecast of 16c but the wind is too cold. I have one populated hive with a caste from last year, they still some fondant that I placed in February so I am assuming they have their own stores but not many flights at the moment so I am considering feeding with sugar syrup. My other hive is empty as they swarmed twice last year (one of them now in the populated hive)and the remaining bees died out. Hoping to house a swarm soon.

:hairpull: very frustrating this beekeeping lark!!

Have hefted hives and checked Nucs for stores, too cold to open up and inspect here yet and feel I wouldn't get any better results by leaving a few weeks. Need to keep an eye on OSR close to 1 site though, as it may start flowering soon, will be manning the supers then.
All looking fine with lots of activity, though 1 Nuc was very light and needed a top up.
S

On the opposite tack to the thread...Glad I went in to check yesterday - the super I put on last week was stuffed to the gunwales! :)

Just been in today, glad I did.

Basically all well in all 4 hives, especially double brood poly (10 + frames of brood), the problem (if it's a problem) was lack of space for laying.

Actually removed stores and replaced with drawn comb.

And that's near Leeds where this is the first day where it's been warm enough to have a look.

Simon

Had a quick look inside today as the weather here in Stafford is 16deg and not a cloud in the sky, they are doing a grand job, 7 frames of BIAS and nectar coming in, no drone cells yet and a good bit of space for HM yet. Bring it on

Still too cold for a proper check down here in Cornwall - though I tried to look through one on Mon as there are drones flying from it already. The colony in question is on brood and a half and had done a grand job of glue-ing pretty much everything together with drone brood so by the time I had sorted out access the hive had already been opened for about 15mins, it was chilly in the wind and the bees were turning decidedly pissed off and going into attack mode :(
Basically they had lots of stores and LOADS of bees in both boxes, but I didn't get into the frames to see whats what. Hopefully I will get a chance with the weather this weekend.

still not been in half my hives. when I went up this afternoon due to a cold east wind they wernt flying.

Feel like i live in a different land, everything is green leaved, horsechesnut about to flower, and doing an AS tomorrow as found queen cells today on my third time in for 7 day inspection

Last edited:
Well we must have been in a very isolated place yesterday because the temp reached 18 so I did my first real inspection. Everything going great guns brood on 7 frames pollen and loads of nectar and honey. And by chance saw the Queen... very happy......

Latest posts

Back