White Starling

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpearce4

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
a few more than last year but still not enough
Never seen one of these before. Its white but not albino from what i can see. I saw it as i was driving through shoreham airport on my way to my bees on sunday.

How unusual are these?

Quite rare, I'd say. Have you thought of sending the picture to the local paper?

Those are great photos - what a lovely bird, I like the pink legs :)

class,we had a white crow around here a few years ago till somebody shot it i think.
Darren

There is a black and white Crow or perhaps a Raven in a field/trees just near me.
It appears that it can't fly at the moment! Been feeding it up a bit!

Although rare, this variant isnt unexpected in starlings. There are some (stuffed i have to say) on display in the Natural History museum. This characteristic is also present in blackbirds and other similar birds.

Often if there is one seen there will be others in the area with similar genetics and the number of individuals with this patternation will likley be higher in this area than surrorunding ones.

Nice pic by the way!

Nice piccie but I'm not sure its an albino atarling, I've seen several albino starlings and they've always still had faint mottling which this one doesnt seem to have.

Latest posts

Back