What is this white stuff on the brood combs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bungle

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,
Two of my hives have developed this white stuff on the brood frames, which I have not seen before.
Can anyone tell me what it is? It’s covering most frames, as also appears around capped brood.
Thanks.
IMG_8432.jpegIMG_8428.jpeg

I think it might just be either crystallised honey or part chewed wax... they are backfilling brood cells with nectar by the look of it ... and the nectar in the cells looks a bit gloomy... heather honey perhaps ?

Where are you located ... helps to have your location in your profile as there's often a regional aspect to answers to questions.

Thank you, wow, ok nothing to worry about :)
I’m just outside of Chester. They filled the supers quite early, and i couldn’t keep up and they did have some honey in the brood boxes. I extracted end of june, and within no time it started to crystallise in the buckets, I think it was rape rather then heather? they have empty supers again, though things have slowed down significantly.

end of june
Too early, and bell (which begins to flower mid-July, before ling) takes a while to crystallise.

Anything in the brassica family - OSR is one - will crystallise fairly quickly. Maybe you have a lot of hedge mustard on verges and field edges?

Latest posts

Back