White bloom on top of set honey - what to do?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deb

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi

My remaining few jars of last season's honey have developed a white growth on the top. This honey set quite quickly in the autumn and is pale yellow in colour. My bees are in an urban area with no agricultural forage so it is very light, floral honey.

It has been stored in a very cold room where the temperature is never above about 15 degrees C.

Now there's a white bloom on the top, and down the sides of some of them. Is it fermenting? It doesn't smell bad. Can I rescue it by reheating? If so - what's the best method in these circumstances?

Thanks.

It is called frosting it happens when honey sets quickly and it pulls away from the sides of the jar. If you taste it, it should be ok. You will know if it has started to ferment by the smell. You can reheat it.

Last edited:
what to do?

+1 to what Veg says, apart from the word 'quickly'. If it hadn't fermented soon after bottling and the surace was 'dry' then, it is unlikely to suddenly erupt. If the collected honey was all capped there would be no problem either, provided storage was good.

Thanks both. Helpful and reassuring.
deb

Or it was the last few jars you bottled and its the bubbles that rose to the surface
E

Latest posts

Back