Soft Set Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I tried this with a small amount it settles after a day with set and very light at the top and darker and runnier at the bottom. I stir it every day but still like that after a month./QUOTE]

Hi all. I'm like a dog with a bone so am asking again.
I don't want to risk this happening with 10 jars. Anyone know why?

When I tried this with a small amount it settles after a day with set and very light at the top and darker and runnier at the bottom. I stir it every day but still like that after a month./QUOTE]

Hi all. I'm like a dog with a bone so am asking again.
I don't want to risk this happening with 10 jars. Anyone know why?

I remember somebody on this forum....years ago, had a honey that did that. I'm almost certain it was Tom Bick. Nothing they did stopped it. You could try PMing him here or on FB

I can assure you I rinsed all the honey off before I did any diy with it ;-)

I have had honey that separates like that. I think it is that different honey has different densities. Lime honey for example is very light and runny, dandelion honey is much thicker and dense. The crystals don't seem to bind however much you mix them together and the 'heavy' honey settles at the bottom and the 'light' honey floats. The other thing I found was that two different supers with two honeys that had very different water contents separate too. I have tested honey from the top of a settling tank and honey from the bottom and the water content can be hugely different. I can take honey from the bottom with no problem and yet the honey further up the tank is too high in water! Just my thoughts and experiences.
E

I have had honey that separates like that. I think it is that different honey has different densities. Lime honey for example is very light and runny, dandelion honey is much thicker and dense. The crystals don't seem to bind however much you mix them together and the 'heavy' honey settles at the bottom and the 'light' honey floats. The other thing I found was that two different supers with two honeys that had very different water contents separate too. I have tested honey from the top of a settling tank and honey from the bottom and the water content can be hugely different. I can take honey from the bottom with no problem and yet the honey further up the tank is too high in water! Just my thoughts and experiences.
E

My limited chemistry knowledge is that if you mix 2 different densities of sugar solution, it will just mix to give a mixture of something in between. I think it is rather a matter of the preferential crystallization of glucose over fructose together with water being excluded from the crystallizing sugar resulting in a low fructose supernatant that refuses to crystallize. Any chemists on here who can correct/improve this hypothesis?

Back