Which Queen cell to keep?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DomB

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Hi, hope you can help..

I had a swarm last weekend which I caught and put in a second hive (my first catch - what a great experience!).

Problem is, they've swarmed again today! This time the swarm is too high up in a hawthorn tree (the same tree as last weekend's) so I think I'm going to have to let it go.

Meantime tho I may have made a catastophic mistake. I went in the hive and tore down all the queen cups I could find (more than 12!). I then talked to someone who mentioned perhaps I've just rendered my hive queenless!

By a stroke of luck I did keep 4 Queen cups (pictures below). Should I put them back in the hive - all of them or just one, and if so which one? Or is theer a better course of action?? Any thoughts or help very much appreciated!

couple of probs - 1. you've laid them down. 2. you've let them cool.

i'd use the "nice pair" in centre.

re swarm - can't you cut the trunk/branch of the bit of hawthorn they are hanging on?

Thanks. I guess I'll put them back in then and see what happens.

Can you tell me - if there's eggs and young-enough larvae will they be able to make a new queen or does the egg need to be laid in a pre-prepared quuen cup?

"if there's eggs and young-enough larvae will they be able to make a new queen"

YES - an emergency one

"or does the egg need to be laid in a pre-prepared quuen cup?"

that only happens when the process is planned eg swarming.

serious question, no offence meant - have you done a course or got any books such as Hooper?

Thanks, yes, I've got Hooper but only been on a 'crash course'. This has all kinda happened v.quickly! Have applied to join my local association..

Thanks for the quick responses. I've put the cups back anyway, will keep an eye on them.

How will I know if I've gone Queenless?

You will know because there will be no eggs or lava seen after about 10 days and the bees will go bl..dy nasty.

I think.

couple of probs - 1. you've laid them down. 2. you've let them cool.

i'd use the "nice pair" in centre.

re swarm - can't you cut the trunk/branch of the bit of hawthorn they are hanging on?

Laying them down at this stage of development won't harm them, ask for cooling down, I've thrown queen cells in a bucket of rubbish (brace comb etc) left same out over night and found hatched Queens the day after chasing each other around the bottom of the pail !!

John Wilkinson

As per the last post, I would put those queen cells back in asap. It is better to have a queen from one of these 'proper' queen cells than the defective queen you might get from an emergency queen cell.

A bad outcome is to end up with a hopelessly queenless colony. But worse than that might be to end up with a defective queen that doesn't turn into an egg laying queen.

Thanks all, I put them back in. It was an astonishingly hot day today so fingers crossed. I'll not go back into the hive for 10 days and see what's happened.

Thanks again; defo need to get joined up to my local association.

queen cells can be put in a match box or other container and put in your pocket to keep warm to be used at alater date.

John

Just don't tip queen cells upside down or even sideways when at early stage (uncapped) because if you disconnect the larvae from the royal jelly she's doomed!:svengo:

left same out over night and found hatched Queens the day after chasing each other around the bottom of the pail !!

John Wilkinson

I did much the same thing last year, after a swarm I took the excess number of capped queens cells and placed them in a tub along with brace comb, with the intent of disposing them when I arrived home, but left the tub in the garage.

Needed to check another hive the next day that had laying workers, when I open the tub there were three jet black queens running around inside. I popped one in to the top super of the queenless hive, a week later I was pleased to find the new queen was accepted and laying well. A bit unorthodox, but it worked.

Latest posts

Back