Which heather honey press to buy?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peter, would a pair of hand looseners not make more sense for Conwy Beekeepers ?

For someone with only a couple of hives a hand loosener and tangential extractor is sufficient IMHO you get most of the honey out with the added bonus of ready drawn comb for the start of the next season. I managed it this year with quite a few hives bringing in heather.

There is definitely a need for up to date best practice information on practical, hygienic ways of processing heather honey. We want to encourage more heather beekeeping. We have terrific heather in North Wales, but most of it never sees a honeybee.

Beecraft just launched a new book at the National actually - bit pricey but I might take a punt. Half the proceeds go to bees abroad by the way and the rest to the Wax chandler's I believe.

https://www.bee-craft.com/bee-craft-shop/product/heather-honey-a-comprehensive-guide/

You will have to be quick the hardback are already sold out, both hard and softback were a limited edition run and the remaining softback are going fast.

Last edited:
Personally I'd go for Tony Jefferson's practical guide any day.
That's, IIRC, the Jefferson who reckons the best place for a queen excluder is hanging on a nail in the shed!!
Tried his "advice" on the heather, result was a chimney of brood throughout the 4 supers. A right mess to sort out.

Latest posts

Back