Heather honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffo

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
In previous years my bees seem to have missed the local heather but this year they have well and truly found it. I bought a small fruit press off ebay, so after a very messy day yesterday, I now have a bucketful of very sticky honey which is exactly 20% moisture. Now, my question is - will it be OK to jar this honey and sell it at our local show on Saturday? I'm a bit worried about fermentation.

Youre fine with that and if it is heather then you are under

In previous years my bees seem to have missed the local heather but this year they have well and truly found it. I bought a small fruit press off ebay, so after a very messy day yesterday, I now have a bucketful of very sticky honey which is exactly 20% moisture. Now, my question is - will it be OK to jar this honey and sell it at our local show on Saturday? I'm a bit worried about fermentation.

Yes !
Heather Honey ,though thixotropic and feels viscous has a higher moisture content than blossom Honey . 20% is about correct ![emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Excellent, thank you.

It's legal down to 23% water. It will ferment at 23% if the yeast count is high as I found to my cost many moons ago.
You need to be sure that heather pollen is the predominant pollen if you are calling it heather honey. Many so-called heather honey's are not and only have a small percentage of heather.
If unsure call it moorland honey.

Last edited:
Back