which bee escape?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoinerBee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
Number of Hives
I am building an observation hive and will need an escape for bees trapped in a maintenance access area. There seem to be several types available what are the pro's and con's of the different types?
Thanks

I'd use the rhombus escape, because I like them.

I haven't a clue whether it's the best one in your circumstances, but my comment will have brought the question nearer the top of the list where somebody else might see it.

For clearing supers I use cut-in-half rhombus escapes as described on here by Polyhive. They work very well indeed. However, I suspect space is going to be an issue for the location you describe. Perhaps a cone escape?

I am building an observation hive and will need an escape for bees trapped in a maintenance access area. There seem to be several types available what are the pro's and con's of the different types?
Thanks

how large is this access area,are you talking about a room, cupboard, small hive outer box sort of WBC outer area?

if it is large you will need a escape that the bees can see light through...or are your bees dischargung into the hive?

Space

The space to clear is 3' x 3' and 16" deep, it will need to clear back into the hive area.

i think the rhombus would work....but they can find their way back into the voids, porters on for a long time will be proplised up, cones again they can find their way back
Thanks for the advice MuswellMetro, I will get myself a rhombus and see how we get on.

Latest posts

Back