Where to put caught cast?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nematode

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
One of my hives just threw out a cast swarm a hour or so ago. I am trying to catch it and put it in a five frame nuc. My question is (if they stay in the nuc) where will I put them? Beside the original hive? Anywhere in the apiary? At an out apiary? Any more wisdom and reasons would be gratefully received.

Details

• Primary swarm left on the 26th of June. Caught it and hived in out apiary.
  • Left two queen cells *sigh*
  • Lots of tooting on July 8th
  • Possible nuptial flight on 9th
  • Lots of tooting on night of 9th and again last night.

You can put it wherever you like. With casts and swarms the 3 ft/3 miles rule does not apply.:)

Thanks Guys,

I will just stick it in the Aipary here at home to give me an easier life. Gareth, your idea seems interesting although I can't follow the logic of it. LOL ;)

Ok, take two of the cast swarm. Yesterday I must not have caught the queen (whom we are now calling 'Tooter'). She must have then got spooked and returned to her hive. We heard her tooting again last night, just like she has been tooting for the last four evenings now.

2011-july-12-001.jpg

This time I have built a little prison for her in the form of a brood box – queen excluder – nuc box. I know there is still a SLIM chance of her slipping out but I will give it a try. There are two frames of foundation in there to get started on. I think I will leave them like this until tomorrow when I will break it up and pop a couple more frames and an insulated dummy board in. My next project will have to be a frame feeder. I must look at hedgerowpete’s video again.

If you can put a frame with some open brood in (no bees from the hive you take the frame from) it encourages them not to swarm again.

Latest posts

Back