Where to get mesh from?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have emailed J.T. Wirecloth twice in the last few months and have received no answer so used The Mesh Company in Warrington via Ebay.

Last edited:
you could phone around your local welding/fabrication firms because they all use mesh at some point and they might have some leftover

I have emailed J.T. Wirecloth twice in the last few months and have received no answer so use The Mesh Company in Warrington via Ebay.
Why go via ebay and why not deal with them direct

When I enquired (twice) their pricing and delivery were not in the same ballpark as the messh company.

Have you noticed that most respondents to this post are from the north, Wales, south west etc.

Presume those from the Home Counties are saying, "Shirley, you get mesh from potatoes?".

Dusty

Hi Sally i have sent you a PM with some details of where i get my epoxy coated floor mesh from hope it helps Chris :)

Have you noticed that most respondents to this post are from the north, Wales, south west etc.

Presume those from the Home Counties are saying, "Shirley, you get mesh from potatoes?".

Dusty

In the Home Counties perhaps I should explain, one has M&S who deliver to ones door.
Mesh sweetie comes from a packet... I know because I have seen the Au-Pair make it for the children!

In the Home Counties perhaps I should explain, one has M&S who deliver to ones door.
Mesh sweetie comes from a packet... I know because I have seen the Au-Pair make it for the children!

and a creche is what happens when 2 range rovers collide

Dusty

And i suppose sex is what coal gets delivered in (before you put it in the bath) :D

Couldn't find what I was after in the local DIY shop today. Where would be best to source some at a reasonable price (a rough idea of possible places would really help), and what size mesh should I be looking to use (did see some in the local shop, but the gaps looked a little too big for me, skinny bees may be able to get through).

Thank you

Sally

Not sure how much you want, but we always get our mesh from United Wire, who are the ones who actually weave it, in Granton, Edinburgh. Despite the Scottish address they are a national supplier. We buy stainless for both floor meshes and travel screens. For not a lot extra they will cut it to size for you. They also do mild steel and galvanised meshes (wire cloth to them).

If you want the really rigid stuff then the supplier back at the start of the chain is called Expamet, and they are in Hartlepool. They do it in aluminium and galvanised in the 'expanded metal' format, which is way the most rigid way to get it. The downside of expanded metal mesh is the open space percentage can be as low as 50%, whereas it is a lot higher in the woven metal format.

In both cases you want to go no lower than an 8 mesh, and we prefer 10 mesh. I feel insecure about bee leakage, and bee heads getting jammed in the mesh, at rather more open formats, and have seen some 6 mesh screens with all the holes blocked off with bees heads protruding out and completely stuck. The mesh btw, is the number of openings per linear inch................no metric units in that traditional industry. Like nails.......bigger number smaller opening.

If it is only small amounts you want...........like for covering up bee escape holes etc, we always have offcuts of the woven stainless mesh lying about that we do not use.

Latest posts

Back