Where to get mesh from?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
1 Nat & 1 WBC
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this, but would like to get some mesh for making travel screens / super storing screens (if that makes sense). Couldn't find what I was after in the local DIY shop today. Where would be best to source some at a reasonable price (a rough idea of possible places would really help), and what size mesh should I be looking to use (did see some in the local shop, but the gaps looked a little too big for me, skinny bees may be able to get through).

Thank you

Sally

T'ornes sell stainless steel mesh by the square foot - not sure if this is what you're looking for?

Hi Luminos
This is what I am after, thank you, but it is a fair drive from my home, and postage is not cheap (sorry, this sounds like I am terribly tight). Just wondering if I could source from elsewhere. Though may go here if I cannot source it more cheaply (including P & P). Am I being a little too tight?

Reptile equipment suppliers do mesh - get it on eBay

R2

Dial in 'the mesh company' in goggle and they can supply anything you might need at very competitive prices.
Unless yo live near Yorshire Bees, close to the A1, or near Worksop, in which case a pm might get the stuff you need in a few weeks or so. Same system as for foundation - non-profit distribution.

RAB

... is there a particular size or is it all the same for reptiles?

Dunno - I just bought some that looked finer than my open mesh floor!

Vivarium mesh is a good search phrase. I suspect that some soffit ventilators from builders merchants (round plastic and designed to keep insects out of the eaves) might also work but not tried yet!

R2

Would have thought for storing supers, frames etc., you'd need steel mesh. Rats and mice will nibble through HDPE or fibre glass mesh.

Hi Luminos
This is what I am after, thank you, but it is a fair drive from my home, and postage is not cheap (sorry, this sounds like I am terribly tight). Just wondering if I could source from elsewhere. Though may go here if I cannot source it more cheaply (including P & P). Am I being a little too tight?

If you're really a tightwad then keep an eye out on free-cycle for an old fireguard ;)
Manor1796Fireguard.png

As Rab said google the Mesh Company Warrington sell steel mesh in 450mm squares and I can recommend them. I have also used old fireguards from scrap metal merchants

Try J.T. Wirecloth in Oxon. Various options from epoxy coated to Stainless.

Latest posts

Back