Where to find land for Bees 2024

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T.AP

New Bee
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm located in Chelmsford, Essex, and I'm planning to have my first four beehives in Spring. It would be ideal to place them in the countryside or near a woodland area, far away from any urban areas. In that case which are my options? With who can get in touch, the council I suppose?

far away from any urban areas
Why?

With who can get in touch
Look on GoogleEarth; check for good vehicle access, that the site is not visible from the road esp. when leaves have fallen, and well away from livestock and public rights of way. Avoid flood & frost pockets and aim for a sunny spot (though noon shade is useful). Hives against a hedgeline will moderate high winds.

Forget the local authority; some use local Facebook, but once GE throws up a good location, knock on farmhouse doors. Make sure you choose where to put them, not the farmer.

Be very wary of letting it be known where your hives are parked.

Last edited:
Starting with four hives? I hope you have some experience, need to know a little more about where you are at and how prepared you are. Bees on other people's land comes with responsibilities. Not knocking you but I feel I need a bit more info before I offer advice 😉

Why?

Look on GoogleEarth; check for good vehicle access, that the site is not visible from the road esp. when leaves have fallen, and that livestock and public rights of way are not close. Avoid flood & frost pockets, aim for sun but noon shade is useful; hives against a hedgeline will moderate high winds.

Forget the local authority; some use local Facebook, but once GE throws up a good spot, knock on farmhouse doors. Make sure you choose the spot and not the farmer.

I agree, I have some lovely urban sites that are better for lots of reasons temps are usually higher and the forage well that’s a different matter if you have them sited well 🤔

Hello all, I'm located in Chelmsford, Essex, and I'm planning to have my first four beehives in Spring. It would be ideal to place them in the countryside or near a woodland area, far away from any urban areas. In that case which are my options? With who can get in touch, the council I suppose?
First four hives for a new beekeeper is ambitious ... what experience do you have ? If you are a complete beginner - perhaps having completed your association course over winter - I would be inclined to start with two for the first year - even with two it's a steep learning curve,

You also need to be in constant contact with your bees, weekly inspections during the season and watching what they are up to (At the hive entrance by Storch is a good read) is essential if you are going to learn to keep bees. Your apiary needs to be somewhere local to where you live and accessible whenever you want to visit, out apiaries that require excessive travel will either become irksome or neglected when you have small numbers of colonies.

Your initial comments don't include why you want to become a beekeeper .. it's a big commitment both financially and in terms of the time you have to spend - it's not just a case of put a few hives on a site and sit back and let them get on with it.

Tell us a bit more ... nobody will judge you here, we all start somewhere, but there is a vast source of knowledge and assistance on here when you get started and in the time before that ... if you have no questions then you are already well trained or ....

First four hives for a new beekeeper is ambitious ... what experience do you have ? If you are a complete beginner - perhaps having completed your association course over winter - I would be inclined to start with two for the first year - even with two it's a steep learning curve,

You also need to be in constant contact with your bees, weekly inspections during the season and watching what they are up to (At the hive entrance by Storch is a good read) is essential if you are going to learn to keep bees. Your apiary needs to be somewhere local to where you live and accessible whenever you want to visit, out apiaries that require excessive travel will either become irksome or neglected when you have small numbers of colonies.

Your initial comments don't include why you want to become a beekeeper .. it's a big commitment both financially and in terms of the time you have to spend - it's not just a case of put a few hives on a site and sit back and let them get on with it.

Tell us a bit more ... nobody will judge you here, we all start somewhere, but there is a vast source of knowledge and assistance on here when you get started and in the time before that ... if you have no questions then you are already well trained or ....
Excellent reply well worth heeding imo

First of all Thank you very much for replying to my post,

I'm looking forward to bee farming and I'm aiming for commercial beekeeping, I'm aware that it requires knowledge and above all devotion to your bees. I'm reading books regarding the subject and also I've contacted my local association for courses and further guidance and practice before i start to hold any bees. One of my concerns, apart from learning this craft, is where i can place my first beehives as they can't be placed in my backyard . Yes, 4 hives is ambitious in that early stage.

Why?

Look on GoogleEarth; check for good vehicle access, that the site is not visible from the road esp. when leaves have fallen, and well away from livestock and public rights of way. Avoid flood & frost pockets and aim for a sunny spot (though noon shade is useful). Hives against a hedgeline will moderate high winds.

Forget the local authority; some use local Facebook, but once GE throws up a good location, knock on farmhouse doors. Make sure you choose where to put them, not the farmer.

Unfortunately, at the current time, I'm unable to hold any bees in my backyard.

Starting with four hives? I hope you have some experience, need to know a little more about where you are at and how prepared you are. Bees on other people's land comes with responsibilities. Not knocking you but I feel I need a bit more info before I offer advice 😉
I dont have any experience I'm going to begin my courses within this month, the hives will be placed this spring, i try to educate myself as much as I can before i start keepin any bees

I dont have any experience I'm going to begin my courses within this month, the hives will be placed this spring, i try to educate myself as much as I can before i start keepin any bees
Have a click on the link at the bottom of this message. It always seems easy until you start, can I suggest you go into a hive with someone before this season ends so that you can see if many flying bees around you is a hobby you want to take up before you spend any money.

First of all Thank you very much for replying to my post,

I'm looking forward to bee farming and I'm aiming for commercial beekeeping, I'm aware that it requires knowledge and above all devotion to your bees. I'm reading books regarding the subject and also I've contacted my local association for courses and further guidance and practice before i start to hold any bees. One of my concerns, apart from learning this craft, is where i can place my first beehives as they can't be placed in my backyard . Yes, 4 hives is ambitious in that early stage.
There is an expression in beekeeping .. If you want to make a small fortune from keeping bees - start with a very big one !

It's possible to make a reasonable additional income from keeping bees but even the major beefarmers (we have a few on here) will tell you that it's not as easy as it may look. There are good years, average years and some really awful years. Bees are inflicted with parasites, predators and disease - it's not unheard of for some unfortunate beekeepers to lose 50% of their colonies.

Bees are expensive, kit is expensive, treatments and feed are expensive and even if you succeed in getting a reasonable honey crop in the first few years all the profit will go on expansion.

Don't try to run before you can walk ... hook up, if you can, with someone who actually has a good few colonies to look after and see what you think ... before diving headlong into a money pit.

Bees are expensive, kit is expensive
Advice from the BFA is to build numbers slowly in line with developing experience.

Investment in equipment is the killer, but sell honey at a proper price and invest the return in more kit.

Bees are not such a struggle, because once you have them more can be made, so long as you have productive and well-tempered stock.

Advice from the BFA is to build numbers slowly in line with developing experience.

Investment in equipment is the killer, but sell honey at a proper price and invest the return in more kit.

Bees are not such a struggle, because once you have them more can be made, so long as you have productive and well-tempered stock.
I agree it’s the equipment needed that’s a killer, but once you have the equipment your away- expansion is better being done inline with your experience which will give you confidence in what you are trying to accomplish.

looking forward to bee farming and I'm aiming for commercial beekeeping
what you are trying to accomplish
Heed Mark's point at your peril: if you mean it to be a part-time or your sole job and you set out to market well and sell at top price, and to limit outgoings, run 100-200 colonies yourself. You will retain the satisfaction of the entire job, from spring awakening to winter market customer chat.

More numbers than that and outgoings will increase - premises, labour, storage, admin - and as you may then sell at bulk prices the return and the work may easily lose appeal. I know of two beefarmers who had their fingers burned because they aimed to expand from 100 to 500 and then onward to the stars.

One had 150 and the dream but no capital to make that growth; on the accountants' advice he pulled out of bees altogether, instead buying in honey and packaging for a margin. The other got there but relied on others, struggled for five years to clean EFB out of his vast system and eventually downsized, no doubt regaining his sense of enjoyment in beekeeping.

These are all such negative comments! I think hats off to anyone wanting to start, and the fact that you are asking about placement shows you are seriously thinking about all aspects of it in detail and are clearly aware of the risks already, it’s like none of you want anyone to start beekeeping at this rate! Keep going 💪

These are all such negative comments! I think hats off to anyone wanting to start, and the fact that you are asking about placement shows you are seriously thinking about all aspects of it in detail and are clearly aware of the risks already, it’s like none of you want anyone to start beekeeping at this rate! Keep going 💪
not negative at all, just realistic, together with quite a few pointers as what to expect and what the OP needs to consider if they are serious about 'going commercial'
Maybe you would like to offer some constructive advice?

not negative at all, just realistic, together with quite a few pointers as what to expect and what the OP needs to consider if they are serious about 'going commercial'
Maybe you would like to offer some constructive advice?
I’m just saying it all seems rather negative and some posts almost seem to be scoffing at the idea of what he’s trying to do, and feels like you’re assuming he doesn’t know what he’s doing and just putting him off the whole thing.

When it comes to the original question of finding land or somewhere to place the hives then somewhere local, with easy-all weather access, away from prying eyes and high footfall, and approaching local businesses is what I would recommend. Farmers, nurseries, golf course grounds, manor estates…

I’m just saying it all seems rather negative and some posts almost seem to be scoffing at the idea of what he’s trying to do, and feels like you’re assuming he doesn’t know what he’s doing and just putting him off the whole thing.

I would say most of the comments are anything but negative.
Posters who have the experience are trying to give positive pointers about the risks involved with starting a business when you know nothing (or very little) about that business.
We all know of bee keepers who give up after a year or so because they can not keep their bees alive and then sell their 2nd hand kit at a significant loss.
If you have multiple hives that loss is multiplied.
I, like many here, have started businesses and have been reasonably successful but when they require a significant investment it’s a big risk.

Latest posts

Back