Where should I position drawn comb?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gribbee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi everyone, advice needed please,
I have an overwintered 5 frame nuke that that I recently purchased which I am going to hive tomorrow. This nuke is feeling really quite heavy and has only been fed a small block of fondant. As the weather may be a couple of degrees below the ideal temp for this transfer I want to be able to react quickly to what I may find when I open up the nuke, hence my question. If I find that the colony is blocked with stores and the queen has little or no room to lay, what would be the best position to place a couple (or more) of drawn combs in the new BB. On the other hand what position if the nuke is full of brood with few stores.? I guess the second question is more straight forward than the first but no harm in asking.
Many thanks
Steve

It depends how many frames bees can cover and keep warm.

Last edited:
If the nuc is blocked with excessive stores, remove a stores frame and replace with a drawn frame. No point in putting it in a full hive if it is not strong enough.

If it is strong enough to transfer - ie at near bursting point, the usual, well sensible, method is to put a couple frames around the nuc frames and the whole lot dummied into one side of the hive with the spare space filled with insulation to keep them cosy.

If the nuc is blocked with excessive stores, remove a stores frame and replace with a drawn frame. No point in putting it in a full hive if it is not strong enough.

If it is strong enough to transfer - ie at near bursting point, the usual, well sensible, method is to put a couple frames around the nuc frames and the whole lot dummied into one side of the hive with the spare space filled with insulation to keep them cosy.

If it is blocked with stores, would you place the drawn frame next to the brood or on the outside of the remaining stores?

:iagree:Oliver90owner "If the nuc is blocked with excessive stores, remove a stores frame and replace with a drawn frame. No point in putting it in a full hive if it is not strong enough.

If it is strong enough to transfer - ie at near bursting point, the usual, well sensible, method is to put a couple frames around the nuc frames and the whole lot dummied into one side of the hive with the spare space filled with insulation to keep them cosy."

Even on this forum, you can't argue with sound advice!

Not arguing, just asking for more sound advice!

I think that is just his signature not a comment aimed at you!

To become a beekeeper, as opposed to a keeper of bees, you need to think about these simple issues.

What would the bees want?

How would (and do) bees arrange the brood nest?

What are the current temperatures (and weather in general) at the moment?

How big is this 'nucleus' colony in the big scheme of bee life?

The answers to these questions should make it clear where to place any fresh frame.

RAB

Gribbee, My signature is also a great song and a good way of approaching life, so don't worry about the misunderstanding, be happy :cheers2:

Back