Where are the wasps?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregior

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Not seen a single worker wasp so far this year! I think the poor weather at the beginning of June has wiped out most of the nests,on a side note could be good news in the battle againt the Asian hornets. Anyone else noticed this?

Not seen a single worker wasp so far this year! I think the poor weather at the beginning of June has wiped out most of the nests,on a side note could be good news in the battle againt the Asian hornets. Anyone else noticed this?
Yes. There were several queens about early on, but I think the weather has seen them off.

Seems to be a healthy population of European Hornets nearby. See them quite often in the garden. Wasps? None

Saw several queens early in the year, but only one regular worker wasp this year.

Must be because I switched to underfloor entrances, they say they deter wasps.

Found this abandoned nest in a bait hive, 2 weeks ago.

1000026469.jpg

Last edited:
Similar experience over this way... Queens a plenty in early season. Some wood scraping to start with but only one worker since.

We had a very mild early Spring which brought a lot of Q wasps out of hibernation. This was followed by lower temperatures and northerly winds which probably killed them. So far this Summer I have seen only occasional worker wasps. Changing weather patterns also seem to be influencing other animal and plant groups.

I have also seen almost no wasps, in the Midlands. I did see 2-3 hornets in early May.

I've been wondering if this gives Britain an extra year free of Asian Hornets, seeing as even the native wasps are struggling.

Been thinking the same. Seen no wasps for weeks as well. Only seen queen wasps early on in spring. Also very few solitary bees. Seen a few European hornets though. Definitely more hornets than last year.

Distinct lack of bumble bees too unfortunately.

Seen more European Hornets (incl one safely removed from our bedroom ) than wasps.

I have seen very few wasps this year, and none for quite some time. Not seen any European Hornets for ages either.

James
Blimey you want to come to my neck of the woods,
I know where there are three or four hornet nests on the farm,I’ve been watching queens strip wood of the mature oaks.
I saw a worker wasp today near some hives in town.

Be careful, this drop in nests may be a symptom of the consolidation of the velutina in the UK, now that they have managed to get through the winter, the next stage of their expansion is to build secondary nests as large as possible and that means that wasps, bees and others insects are targeted.

Saw Queens earlier in the year but no workers as yet, I put it own to a strong apiary making my gardens an unwelcome space....does seem strange. I have on the other hand seen a wider variety of Bumble bees and other insects this year, some very colourful. Come to think on it, less moths as well

I disturbed a wasp nest in a pile of rubble in early June. The nest was at least 4 to 6 weeks behind in development. Sadly I couldn't save the nest but it is symptomatic of the persistent wet weather we've been having. Wasps find it hard to hunt when it's this wet plus Germanica which is predominantly a ground nester finds it hard to build its nests in wet soil. Very similar to 2012 when we had a 90% drop in nest numbers because temperatures remained stubbornly low during the hunting phase.

Thriving European nest somewhere here. see them feeding on the cotoneaster and taking sawfly caterpillars off the Solomon's Seal.

Haven't seen a wasp yet or hornet!!!

Back