Where are the wasps?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Virtually no wasps here. Very few cabbage white butterflies and very few bumble bees which normally are bobbing about on the lavender by now as it is in full bloom here.

Virtually no wasps here. Very few cabbage white butterflies and very few bumble bees which normally are bobbing about on the lavender by now as it is in full bloom here.
Same here.
My neighbour told me they’d seen a couple of hornets drinking at their pond. He was pleased to tell me they weren’t the Asian ones “but we killed them just in case”.

Same here.
My neighbour told me they’d seen a couple of hornets drinking at their pond. He was pleased to tell me they weren’t the Asian ones “but we killed them just in case”.
😭😭
Please tell me you educated them so they don’t do it again?

Wasps about but not in any great number and butterflies, several types, just starting to appear in 'numbers' on the numerous buldeia we have dotted around the garden.
Still WAY down on previous years.
We've had it as a species really.............................

I saw a single worker wasp today, possibly for the first time this year. I suspect it was attracted to my prawn sandwich.

James
I may be onto something here….
I was taking individual brood frames of capped honey from a hive today and decided to blow the bees off instead of using a brush. Blowing on them proved extremely effective. I think it may be to do with the Marmite sandwich I’d had just beforehand….

There's a single wasp that visits the hive in my back garden.

Other than that, this large Hornet mimic hoverfly has been hanging around in front of the hive, apparently baffled by the underfloor entrance.
I've read they lay eggs inside beehives, with no undue effects to the colony.
1000031591.jpg
1000031584.jpg

Other than that, this large Hornet mimic hoverfly has been hanging around in front of the hive, apparently baffled by the underfloor entrance.
I've read they lay eggs inside beehives, with no undue effects to the colony.
I like these! One of the few I know by its proper name: Volucella zonaria.

I saw a single worker wasp today, possibly for the first time this year. I suspect it was attracted to my prawn sandwich.

James
My first wasp sighting this year was handed to me on my dinner plate last night. My host was quite unapologetic, apparently assuming that my relationship with insects included sharing my meal with this uninvited guest.

I may be onto something here….
I was taking individual brood frames of capped honey from a hive today and decided to blow the bees off instead of using a brush. Blowing on them proved extremely effective. I think it may be to do with the Marmite sandwich I’d had just beforehand….

I've also been known to retreat extremely rapidly from anyone who has recently eaten Marmite, to be fair.

James

Haven’t seen a single wasp, hardly any butterflies (although a few cabbage whites have found the kale 🙁) but lots of bumbles in the garden.

Saw my first wasps at a hive today a couple picking amongst some dead/tired foragers on the ground.
A couple tried their luck in the supers I was checking and one Humblebee trying her luck.

cabbage whites are multiplying around here, Bumbles are very rare, Haven't seen a wasp for a month or so.
My allotment hive is going berserk on the autumn raspberries because there's no competition. the Buddlias and honeysuckle are just hanging around in flower as there's no pollinators here.

Saw a bumble on my nasturtiums..
Saw nothing on the buddleia.
Two cabbage whites on my sprouts.
No beans on my runner beans,,

We are doomed!

Latest posts

Back