When will there be a harvest for the world

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
None of my own
Can I ask when people are planning on harvesting? Realise that its weather and location dependent.

I've a pathetic amount to take off this year (all my own fault), but was planning to remove what I can in the next couple of weeks, prior to the thymol and autumn feed.

checking my supered UK hive this weekend. maybe get one super off in next few weeks depending on state. that can add to my 7.5lbs of OSR back in may.

taking a couple of supers off of one hive this morning, adding clearer board to another.

I'm planning on the 23rd August, the day after my son returns from holiday. He enjoys the extraction process. Sorry to hear about your low yield this year.

My bees are all coming home covered with HB pollen, and nectar I hope.

i took my supers off last week, but had to put empty ones back one as the bees were/are still expanding and i didnt want to risk a swarm at this time if year

6 supers removed and 5 extracted to date with another 3 supers to remove this weekend.

Put clearer board on one super each hive that looks pretty full yesterday. Big field of white clover full of flower just down the road so leaving 2 supers on each in hope.

If it has been dry in Somerset the clover may not give up much.

I take the lead from the local bee farm (Paynes). They have started taking all honey off as they say the season has practically finished.

Bear in mind you have to have NO honey for human consumption on when you treat with Apiguard etc- that treatment takes 3 weeks- and then you need to feed early enough (2:1) for the bees to take down, store, reduce and cap that syrup before the weather turns cold.

Even now that takes you to early October, so if you are keeping supers on till end of August mind you don't drop them on removal as you must have your fingers crossed as well!!:p

Off to sort out my 12 supers....

The clover in my part of Somerset has been very good,plenty of nectar from that during the hot weather.

I take the lead from the local bee farm (Paynes). They have started taking all honey off as they say the season has practically finished.

Bear in mind you have to have NO honey for human consumption on when you treat with Apiguard etc- that treatment takes 3 weeks- and then you need to feed early enough (2:1) for the bees to take down, store, reduce and cap that syrup before the weather turns cold.

Even now that takes you to early October, so if you are keeping supers on till end of August mind you don't drop them on removal as you must have your fingers crossed as well!!:p

Off to sort out my 12 supers....

I think Apiguard is 4 weeks, Heather.

next weekend ,I will be too busy this week and that will give me enough time to prepare for extraction

Taken 1 super off last weekend had approx 14lb of beaufiful tasty honey. checked again last night and have about half a supper capped off.

2 supers removed this a.m. ( I had to put another super onto this hive as the one super left was filling rapidly) clearer boards added to 2 other hives.

I have take a couple of supers off already here in Cheshire but still have colonies filling them and to many bees for a single brood for when treating with apiguard.

It's a bit of a problem really, when I remove the supers I have no choice but add another brood box to accommodate all of the bees.

Extracted 2 supers in June. Hoping to do another 2 or 3 this weekend. All from same hive. Urban environment HB and country park/meadow flowers nearby. This is my first year and I am pleased. I have been told that the honey I gave a friend tastes of all the flowers in the graveyard, particularly the lillies. Not sure how they can tell.

What sort of yeilds are other urban beeks getting?

Tonybloke (and others),

On the 23rd July, you seemed to say the season was basically over and time to get the crop extracted. That was in reply to a post by me. Here is a reminder of it

Quotes:

Poster's question: should i just extract or leave on for a bit longer?

My post: Why would you be wanting to extract any comb before, perhaps, the end of August, or maye even later? Certainly plenty of time yet, if there is a flow coming.

I, for one, would not be bothering with it yet.

Your post: I'll be removing supers in the next week, to get the apiguard on while the temperatures are still high enough for it ( apiguard) to be effective...

So now you are adding supers almost going into the second week in August?

Do we have an 'about turn' here? I am still sticking to my plan of nearer the end of August (it will depend on the flows, of course) but things are looking fair at the moment for an extra part-super on at least a couple of hives.:)

Regards, RAB

Have extracted three over past few weeks, looking at another ten atm. When this will be depends on how long they are on the HB and how the weather goes but it will be end of August at the earliest.

Hi RAB, yes to the U-turn! a flow seems to have started nr one of my out-apiaries ( prob jap Knotweed / HB).
the other 3 hives will be getting the apiguard this weekend

Latest posts

Back