When to take OSR supers off in this cold weather....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leave it on.... Why have two lots of osr extraction it's still in flower

Same here but it is far to cold to open up and check moisture content..what will be will be but I do not plan on poking about to find out and in the process killing lots of bees.

Sorry but that's rubbish.

It's not too cold to open the super pull a frame, shake it and return it and close up. Time for a competent person sub three to four minutes.

How is that going to kill lots of bees?

PH

Leave it on.... Why have two lots of osr extraction it's still in flower

Leave it on and leave it set rock hard!?
Bad advice to give to anyone

It's not too cold to open the super pull a frame, shake it and return it and close up. Time for a competent person sub three to four minutes.

PH

:iagree: maybe should leave giving advice to those who know what they're talking about

PH
Errr cos when you shake a frame of bees in these low temps some will fly off and die as they become too cold to find their way back.

Last edited:
Shake it back into the super, not all over the apiary.

Brilliant advice ...and the bees that you shake off into the super that hit the top of the adjacent frames?
Where do they bounce off to?

If it's that damned cold, there won't be many bees in the super to shake off - they'll be back in the cluster

It's May, it's cool.... it's not winter clustering temps...
You start shaking bees off supers you will get dead bees.

PH
That my sweaty sock is **** advice.. I once had respect for you now it has gone..

so you've just blown your own argument out of the water - if it's only 'cool' no vast amounts of bees are going to get killed.

The hive is full of bees due to cold weather..you open up to check supers what the fook do you think happens..the bees spew out like the stuff from your mouth..when we are done and finished them little devils are stuck on the side of the hive and floor to die..thank you for learning me how to kill lots of bees.

All I'm saying is it isn;t good advice to shake bees off frames in super at the current temps as seems to being advised by some.
Currently in my area not been above 8C for last 2 days and windy.
I can't find any post of mine saying "vast" amounts of bees would be killed.

Last edited:
.thank you for learning me how to kill lots of bees.
I think you are capable of doing that without any assistance - it's when you spout out duff 'advice' to others when you haven't a scooby yourself it gets worrying

I think I shall leave this thread to the chuckle brothers.
hopefully not too many genuine beginners will be taken in by the five minute expert and his badly copy and pasted 'advice'

Reminds me of a cartoon show my little sister used to watch on returning from school. Pinky and the brain!!

I think I shall leave this thread to the chuckle brothers.
hopefully not too many genuine beginners will be taken in by the five minute expert and his badly copy and pasted 'advice'

Reminds me of a cartoon show my little sister used to watch on returning from school. Pinky and the brain!!

All I can add is i hope nobody in the north east is listening to your southern advice.

simonforeman has taken the advice to remove the supers, the OSR has finished flowering in his area and temperatures for Lincolnshire are between advice from the South and North. If bees are filling supers then it is warm enough to open up for quick checks, (no tight cluster in the brood chamber). Maybe when giving advice we should add the temperature in our area and then the OP can make a judgement whether the advice fits their situation. :biggrinjester: :calmdown:

simonforeman has taken the advice to remove the supers, the OSR has finished flowering in his area and temperatures for Lincolnshire are between advice from the South and North. If bees are filling supers then it is warm enough to open up for quick checks, (no tight cluster in the brood chamber). Maybe when giving advice we should add the temperature in our area and then the OP can make a judgement whether the advice fits their situation. :biggrinjester: :calmdown:

I tend to agree , with the local temp and maybe the weather conditions as well or am I being to much of a farmer here.
If the hives were quiet and there was no activity no foraging etc ..
I wouldn't of even of put clearer boards on in 10c but the hives were busy bringing in pollen and nectar.
We each have to give that assumption to our locality.
I even asked my mentor then asked a friend beekeeper then made up my own mind after observing the hives .

Back