When to stop feeding?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW

When I had sizebale numbers on the heather I saw the following.

Most would supercede. Prob some 60%+

End of heather most were seemingly Q-

Strip the broodboxes of heather sometimes as many as 8 frames, (lang) and FEED, as in 4 gallons a time, they hoovered it down, drew out a couple of foundations, and the queens were kick started into brooding again.

Mobus ran trials on brooding in winter and despite opening colonies weekly despite the weather he claimed it made no odds to their wintering.

All of the above may disturb but it worked. And most of the books are wrong. LOL

PH

Possibly the chemistry teacher - crawled out of the woodwork again now that his oppo has been smoked out and banned - again. But I thought he was already here under the name beebopper or something.
Or maybe it's the poor man's trout trying for the third time. Soon find out, his slimy manner of speech and his eagerness to create discord will soon come to the surface.

The original poster was asking how to assess his stores ................. I suggested a quick inspection to assess store levels

And the OP is a beginner (which is why he posted here) so IMHO a rather stupid and reckless answer.

I only started feeding on Friday so will look at finishing mid month at the latest.

Well I've got hold of some scales and done a few sums on the back of a fag packet (working out the weight of the home made kit)

The current weights are:

Single brood - 25.2 kg
Double brood - 30.75 kg

Which seem on the light side. They are still bringing in plenty of pollen but no idea how much nectar - if any. They've both got about a litre of syrup left in the feeders which they don't seem to be taking down at the moment.

I'll keep weighing them weekly. In the meantime I've ordered some fondant from the cake-stuff website.

When to stop feeding.....applies to both bees and trolls.

It's the bees I'm asking about.

An inspection for stores can be quick and not that disruptive as you don't need to take the frames out.just heft frames individually. Remove one frame I. E. One you can see has few bees on it. On the others Break the propolis seal and lift the frame just enough to get the weight on to your fingers. A frame with with even a little honey honey is very very different in feel to either brood or empty. Best practiced in spring summer before autumn and best with bare hands or thin gloves.

I stop feeding when the hive is reasonably heavy and the bees stop taking it.
The qualification about weight is due to the fact sometimes bees will not feed despite low stores- I have one feeder on top of brood frames as they would not feed through a crown board...

So it is currently configured as: brood frames
feeder in super.
insulation board
crown board.

(All covered with hive cosy so the feed are is always warm despite the large open space in the super..)

HOY YOU LOT!!.....don't talk about people as if they aren't there. It's rude!
I've no idea what a beebot is nor am I any good at chemistry.
Typical Welsh, seeing trolls everywhere.
If these are the types of non bee related posts that admin allows on this forum, further engagement is pointless.

"Well Beefriendly how was the forum for you?"
"Short and brief.... quite unfriendly I'm afraid to say, (mbc excepted)".

I stop feeding when the hive is reasonably heavy and the bees stop taking it.
The qualification about weight is due to the fact sometimes bees will not feed despite low stores- I have one feeder on top of brood frames as they would not feed through a crown board...

So it is currently configured as: brood frames
feeder in super.
insulation board
crown board.

(All covered with hive cosy so the feed are is always warm despite the large open space in the super..
)
I did that last year and it worked well and i am currently doing the same now as the nights a drawing in cold in Northumberland on the coast.

HOY YOU LOT!!.....don't talk about people as if they aren't there. It's rude!
I've no idea what a beebot is nor am I any good at chemistry.
Typical Welsh, seeing trolls everywhere.
If these are the types of non bee related posts that admin allows on this forum, further engagement is pointless.

"Well Beefriendly how was the forum for you?"
"Short and brief.... quite unfriendly I'm afraid to say, (mbc excepted)".
Where in the Northeast are you before you vanish.

my last inspection before feeding involved moving the brood into the middle under the hole in the cown board so that the bees are directly below the feeder, it just means they are able to fill the brood frames on both sides evenly if they can which helps over the winter.

Latest posts

Back