When to change out old frames?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhyolite

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
When is it recommended to change old frames for new frames? I have seen online by year 4 and to change every second frame initially before doing the rest.

Also, what do you do with the now redundant frames and comb?

What would you suggest to look out for when they need to be changed?

When they get very black and the bees start chewing away large parts of it, you will get the feel of an old past its best frame
Yes spot on. None of this changing comb every other year some recommend when the frame becomes very dark and unstable

Change them when they need to be changed, burn the old ones, hardly worth the effort to faaff around recovering the small amount of grotty wax they contain.
Each to his own, but I do recover the wax. I just cut it out of the frame and put it in my solar wax melter. I drips through a mesh filter into a loaf tin. I just leave it to it, for several days, put the rubbish on the bonfire and put in the next lot. Less than 5 mins work. I save at least £50 every time I buy foundation.

I change every 2 years, they way I get the luxury of actually feeling like I am planning something in my beekeeping rather what feels like panic management 😊 always nice to have a plan 😊
I forgot to say definietely burn the old ones ;)

It is strange how some beekeepers seem to be proud of the fact that their brood boxes are full of comb that is as black as tar and seething with old cocoons, faecal matter and goodness knows what else. These are the same that would preach to you about apiary hygiene and prevention of disease.
Each to his/her own I suppose.
The bees have no choice but to continue to use it for brood rearing. In the wild however, I suspect that feral colonies routinely abandon old comb to wax moth, who will happily recycle it and provide space for new comb.
For what is worth, I would advocate a system of regular comb renewal.

Still at the stage of enjoying recycling old wax combs and the satisfaction of swopping for foundation. Not sure how long it will last! Do the occasional Bailey comb change, mainly I aim to replace a few frames every year. This year I’ve used 60 new brood combs and frames across 10 Hives. So got lots of frames to recycle. I’ll burn the frames on the wood burner once I’ve steam extracted the wax.

Last 2 years I’ve changed from DN4s to DN5s (much less brace comb and easier to inspect); can see how many DN4s are left when I inspect, not too many. Trying to get them all out. Not always easy.

Attachments

• 53FEE880-B60B-416D-A2ED-E1CBAB5E72E7.jpeg
    53FEE880-B60B-416D-A2ED-E1CBAB5E72E7.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 35
Still at the stage of enjoying recycling old wax combs and the satisfaction of swopping for foundation. Not sure how long it will last! Do the occasional Bailey comb change, mainly I aim to replace a few frames every year. This year I’ve used 60 new brood combs and frames across 10 Hives. So got lots of frames to recycle. I’ll burn the frames on the wood burner once I’ve steam extracted the wax.

Last 2 years I’ve changed from DN4s to DN5s (much less brace comb and easier to inspect); can see how many DN4s are left when I inspect, not too many. Trying to get them all out. Not always easy.
I must admit a new comb does look lovely. I put foundation into all my strong colonies every September...ish. And a swarm does draw lovely wax. I don't suppose the bees care that much. I've done a fair few cutouts with healthy brood in black comb

I must admit a new comb does look lovely. I put foundation into all my strong colonies every September...ish. And a swarm does draw lovely wax. I don't suppose the bees care that much. I've done a fair few cutouts with healthy brood in black comb
Nucs too, with a brood extension draw out really nice frames, they are keen for more space so do a fab job. One this week drew 2 full combs in 2 days without any feed. Gorgeous to see. I’ve learnt this year when using the queen into a Nuc swarm control method, as long as you put plenty of nurse bees in with her, they draw comb beautifully as you say

I am sure I have read somewhere that old brood produces smaller bees, it seems to be logical if all the cocoons from multiple brood periods are left in the cell it must get smaller, that doesn’t take into account the health side.

Change them when they need to be changed, burn the old ones, hardly worth the effort to faaff around recovering the small amount of grotty wax they contain.

That's good sense to me ! I'm keeping my old frames for swarm traps though, saw then in half and stick them in the pallet wood bait boxes !

Latest posts

Back