When should I start grafting?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read in his book that he over wintered up to 500 queens, we they all kept in the apiary you now use, if so there must have been over 100 of his 4 way hives there. Are you using any of his mating hives at all?

Nice day here, moved first grafted cells to incubator, and did another hundred grafts.

The weather is still against us up here HM. How about drones? Are they flying yet?

I can tell to you B+ about Bedforshire weather. Day temps under 12C and rain every day. Next 10 days that way.

How about drones? Are they flying yet?

There are plenty of them, Paul... and they have been flying, but will need some higher temperatures to get them out in force when the virgins are ready.

Did our first grafts on 14th April but only got 2 usable cells out of about 45 grafts - put these into mating hives today. Grafts on 21st seem to have been much more successful so far. We have drones, so just need some decent weather now and all will be fine.

We have drones, so just need some decent weather now and all will be fine.

Weather looking to improve with higher temperatures forecast towards the end of next week.

First round of queen cells emerged yesterday, next lot due to emerge next Friday.

Last edited:
Drones about here now too, first graft due on Tuesday.

Started yesterday off one of hivemakers queens.will check how many takes later today.plenty of drones now.just need better weather.

First graft today, I expect success will be mediocre on the first graft of the season but at least the balls rolling.

I had no takes on my queen right system so tomorrow I will try queenless cell starter.

I had no takes on my queen right system so tomorrow I will try queenless cell starter.

I've never understood why, if you're going to the effort of selecting breeding stock and grafting, you would leave it so random as a queenright system that will only work if the stars are aligned. The nbu doesn't help by advocating a queenright system, no one in their right minds who wants to rear reasonable numbers of queens would go down this route.

I use very strong queen right colonies to raise the cells, but often temporarily "queen-less" colonies to start them, the floors have a small entrance in the rear, used to just move and reverse the lower box, but now do as below.

The layout is the floor, brood box with queen, excluder, super, crown board with feed hole and front entrance, super/s, lots of young bees, box full of sealed and emerging brood, spaces for frames of grafts, (plus I often slot a few cells in between the top bars) crown board and feeder on top.
When I want to start grafts the cb hole is covered, completely block the front entrance with a strip of foam and open the rear entrance, then helps to rest a crown board in front to act as a kind of ramp leading to the upper entrance, the bees kind of artificial swarm from the rear of the lower boxes/floor round to the front upper entrance, they return and run straight up the ramp into the entrance. Leave them a couple of hours until they are fanning running around like headless chickens, then add grafts, the following day the started cells are given to the Q+ cell builders, or sometimes some are left until sealed in the starter and then taken to put in the incubator, all depends on how many are needed. To put them back as Q+ the ply is removed from feed hole, and the foam removed from front lower entrance.

Always had good results with queen right system but not this year so used the system hivemaker mentioned above.it was triple brood with one box mainly pollen frames which I placed in middle underneath the capped brood and grafts.
Hopefully I should get some good cells from it.

Latest posts

Back